[MOSAIC-news] M-casts on Sage (this week) and R (next week)

Randall Pruim rpruim at calvin.edu
Wed Mar 16 10:45:25 CDT 2011

This is a reminder about the next two M-casts (this Friday and next
Friday), one on Sage, and the other R.  Come join us and invite your
friends.  As always, if you miss an M-cast, a recorded version will be
available at http://www.causeweb.org/wiki/mosaic/index.php/Pub100.

Connection instructions appear below the abstracts.
March 18, 2011, The Notebook Interface to Sage Mathematics Software

Time: 12:30 EDT (11:30 CDT, 9:30 PDT)

Karl-Dieter Crisman, Gordon College

This introduction to Sage will be about the big picture: the range of
functionality, what the notebook can do for collaboration and
students, etc. I'll demonstrate some basic commands, show a few
servers, and how we have used Sage pedagogically. I'll also show how
to use R in the notebook and how to publish worksheets.

March 25, 2011 Toward a MOSAIC R Package for calculus and statistics

Time: 1:00pm EST (12:00 CST, 10:00 PST)

Randall Pruim

A team of Project MOSAIC collaborators, led by Randall Pruim, are
developing an R package with data and utilities for Calculus and
Statistics. Come see a demonstration of some of the features currently
implemented and join a discussion of potential features to add.

The mosaic package is already available at R-forge or from R using the
command

install.packages("mosaic", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

We anticipate submission to CRAN later this spring.

Tuning in to an M-CAST: Instructions
M-CASTS are broadcast using the ReadyTalk computer conferencing system:
Direct your browser to the ReadyTalk web server and enter access code
2923887. This provides the video component of the M-CAST.
For audio, telephone 866-740-1260 and at the voice prompt, enter the
same access code: 2923887.  You must dial in for the audio.
The audio is two-way: a conference call that supports the seminar
style of the event.