[Ok-sus] Keep Earth Day Local This Year with ECOpass

Kinsey Crocker KCrocker at anglinpr.com
Wed Apr 18 21:35:48 CDT 2012

Sorry, Bob. You're right. They just got the website up, and I guess they
are still populating it. And I didn't want to send a super long e-mail
in fear it wouldn't get read.

Farmers who have a conservation project that they would like to
implement on their land, such as planting native grasses in pastures
with low crop yields to keep dirt from blowing, improving range
management, building fences, converting to no-till and other
conservation practices that also sequester carbon, can sign up to be in
the program through the Oklahoma Conservation Commission. They get put
on a waiting list because currently there are more projects that need
funded than there is funding. When a person or business buys an ECOpass
through the Oklahoma Conservation Commission, that money funnels through
OACD to the farmer to implement their conservation practice.

The Oklahoma ECOpass program is one of the only offset programs with a
verification component where the Oklahoma Conservation Commission makes
site visits and documents progress to ensure that buyers of CO2 offsets
are getting what they pay for and that purchased offsets are real.

I think it's pretty neat because it's a local program that anyone can
help fund (since it's only $5 per credit/per acre) to keep our air and
water clean. It's a market-based solution that is completely voluntary
and allows Oklahoma businesses and citizens to invest in the protection
of Oklahoma's natural resources with no government funding or taxpayer
dollars.

In six watersheds where the Oklahoma Association of Conservation
Districts worked with farmers to plant buffer zones, transition to no
till, and improve livestock management, the EPA certified those formerly
polluted watersheds now meet water quality standards. If water is
cleaner upstream, it costs municipalities less to clean the water and
helps keep Oklahoma watersheds off the EPA's regulatory list. Thanks to
voluntary efforts like this, Oklahoma was recently named #2 in the
nation for improvement in water quality.

OACD is planning to add more detail to the website with some examples of
farmers who have been participating in the program thus far so people
can see tangible examples. I'll pass your message along.

Kinsey Crocker

Director & Senior Account Executive

405.840.4222

www.anglinpr.com <http://www.anglinpr.com/>