[Ok-sus] Global Population and the UNA-OKC Spring Dinner

wildbill73107 at cox.net wildbill73107 at cox.net
Sun Apr 22 21:27:29 CDT 2012

TO: Oklahoma Sustainability Network

The United Nations Association of Oklahoma City is proud to announce a local appearance by Jane Roberts, co-founder of 34 Million Friends of the UN Population Fund (UNFPA). And, we are pleased to extend an invitation to you to hear Ms. Roberts speak at our Spring Dinner:

Friday, April 27th -- 7pm
Oklahoma City University
Great Hall of the University Center

Reserved tickets -- $20 -- are available now. Payable at the door.

Jane Roberts is an inspiring speaker and an engaging personality. She has appeared on dozens of college campuses speaking about the life-saving work of the UN Population Fund. She has won praise from the American Public Health Association, MS Magazine, and New York Time columnist Nicholas Kristof.

Population is an important topic right now -- not only for the long-term survival of our planet but also for the prospects of an enduring peace in our world. It is easy to describe the connections between human population, environmental stress, resource shortages, and sources of potential violent conflict. It is not so easy to describe the remedies to the problem of population growth that is out of control.

Jane Roberts will bring a message about the solutions that are being pursued by the UN Population Fund (UNFPA). These include:

(1) Supporting universal primary education, with an emphasis on better opportunities for girls and women;
(2) A reduction of infant and child mortality;
(3) A reduction of maternal mortality; and
(4) Greater access to reproductive and sexual health services.

Taken together, these goals are part of a program of action that is helping to reduce birth rates across the globe -- to help our human family achieve a sustainable population, without the need for coercive measures or loss of personal freedom.

The story of Jane's organization, 34 Million Friends of the UNFPA, is told in the pages of Kristof's best-selling book, "Half the Sky," co-written with Sheryl WuDunn. An excerpt:

"...They [Jane Roberts and Lois Abraham, co-founders of 34 Million Friends] began going on speaking tours, and the movement gained steam. People around the country were exasperated by... campaigns against reproductive health -- the defunding of UNFPA, the denunciation of condoms and comprehensive sex education, the attempts to cut off support for family planning... -- and they were eager to do something to help."

The book quotes Jane Roberts: "I'm going to follow this to the ends of the earth to further this cause.... Forty women every minute seek unsafe abortions -- to me this is just a crime against humanity."

Please don't miss Jane's message. Reserve your place now at our Spring Dinner. Find more information at our website:

www.una-okc.orgĀ

TIckets are on sale through Tuesday, April 24th. $20 each -- What a bargain! Don't miss out on this unique opportunity.

Enjoy a timely message, good food, great company. Call me or text me if you'd like me to reserve a spot for you at the Dinner: 405-760-5322. Or, send me an email message.

I hope to see you at OCU on the 27th.

Thanks!

Bill Bryant
President, OKC Chapter
United Nations Association of the USA

405-760-5322
wildbill73107 at yahoo.com

www.una-okc.orgĀ

[] [] []

What Others Are Saying About Jane Roberts:

"Jane Roberts believes that to be a good American is to be a good citizen of the world. She tells powerful stories of women in the developing world who suffer because they do not have access to reproductive health services...."
--Linda Harrar, Executive Producer, PBS "World in the Balance"

"Some US groups have made heroic efforts to address maternal health including 34 Million Friends
of UNFPA."
--Nicholas Kristof, in the New York Times

<><><><>
<><><>
<><>
<>