[Ok-sus] FW: Sierra Club E-News - August, September events

Shauna Struby sstruby at cox.net
Wed Aug 1 11:20:16 CDT 2012

Fyi ...

From: David Franklin [mailto:david at keyevado.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 10:49 AM
To: david.franklin at sierraclub.org
Subject: Sierra Club E-News - August, September events

Remember the latest info is always on-line at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron

August

*	August 16-Star Party 7:00-9:00pm-Potluck & social time (Club will
provide burgers with Rose Ranch grassfed beef and Hill Farm Berkshire pork.)
Please bring your own beverage, a side dish or dessert to share, as well as
your own plate, tableware, napkin and something to take your set-up home in.
A donation will be requested to cover cost of transport and cleanup of
dishes to use if you do not bring your own.  We're aiming for a truly green,
zero-waste event!!! Location:  Doug Hill's farm, 10800 E. Hefner Rd.  Doug's
place is 5.7 miles of I35 on Hefner Rd.  9:00-10:00pm-Guided tour of the
night sky with OKC Astronomy Club member Marty Massey (Moe). Bring your
chair, binoculars and a telescope or spotting scope (if you have one).
*	August 22 - Candidate Reception - 7pm - 9pm  - OKC Metro Area
Candidates  Candidate reception hosted by Sierra Club's Chapter Political
Action Committee. We hope you can be there to meet candidates and make our
guests welcome. Be the first to find out what's going on and who's on our
side. These parties should be a lot of fun, based on past experience, and
set the stage of a successful legislative session next year. Held at The
Depot, 200 S. Jones Ave., Norman.  For more info, e-mail Jody Harlan at
hwinc at cox.net
*	August 22 - OLT 101 6pm - 10pm - Ever wanted to lead Sierra Club
outings? To lead outings, you need three things. First you need some
training (i.e., this course!), secondly you need at least first aid training
or higher and third you need to lead a trip under a mentor who is an
experienced certified outing leader. In 101, the topics covered are 1)
Overview of Sierra Club Outings, 2) Planning an Outing, 3) Conducting an
Outing and 4) Where to Find More Information. Any member can participate,
advance sign up is required.  Go to http://oklahoma2.sierraclub.org/outings
to register.
*	August 23 - OLT 201 - 6pm - 10pm - Ever wanted to lead Sierra Club
outings? To lead outings, you need three things. First you need some
training (i.e., this course!), secondly you need at least first aid training
or higher and third you need to lead a trip under a mentor who is an
experienced certified outing leader. The purpose of OLT 201 is to provide
leaders with the skills to address issues that may arise on longer duration,
more remote outings: challenging interpersonal situations, challenging
participants, challenging logistical issues and much more. Upon completion
of OLT 201, leaders should have improved their skills, competence and
confidence in being able to conduct overnight outings that result in safe,
happy and inspired participants. Any member can participate, advance sign up
is required. Need to have completed 101 either on-line or in the previous
night's class.  Go to http://oklahoma2.sierraclub.org/outings to register.

September

*	September 15 & 16 - Beginner's Backpack - Robber's Cave State Park -
Please contact the leader at tomlibby at yahoo.com to sign up and get
informational e-mail. Designed for beginners, this trip is open to anyone in
reasonably good physical shape and some loaner equipment is available on a
first come, first serve basis.  For more information, contact Tom Libby
405-722-2367 tomlibby at yahoo.com
*	September 20 - General Meeting (back at our normal location!) -
LIONS! TIGERS! AND BEARS! OH, MY! by Neil Garrison 7:00 p.m. Social
Time/7:30 Meeting-United Life Spiritual Center-3332 N Meridian Ave, OKC For
30 years before he retired in 2009, Neil Garrison was the Naturalist at
Oklahoma City's Martin Park Nature Center. In February of this year, Neil
did some backcountry hiking in and around Big Bend National Park. Among the
wild animal tracks that Neil saw during his wilderness treks were the
footprints of both black bears and mountain lions. Lots of pics! Lots of
stories! Come see west Texas through the eyes of an experienced naturalist!
E-mail group chair Vicki Rose at vicrose at roseranchjones.com if you need more
info.
*	September 30 - Day Hike: Hidden Grottos of the Wichita Mtns. - This
is a moderate-to-strenuous hike into the Wichita backcountry. For your
trouble you'll be rewarded with the discovery of several fascinating natural
caves/grottos, with beautiful views and other interesting geologic features
along the way. This is one of my favorite areas of the Wichitas, and thus of
Oklahoma. Warning: This hike is completely off-trail, through woods,
brambles, and "sticker bushes", over boulders and hidden cacti, and up and
down rocky outcrops and at-times-steep granite slabs. There will be ticks.
We might see a rattler. People with balance issues, who can't "high-step",
or who have problems being near exposed ledges probably shouldn't go on this
hike. That said, the grottos themselves are all safe, these are not "old
mines". For those who would like to car pool, we'll be meeting at 8:00 am at
the OCCC parking area. Otherwise, contact the leader to arrange a meeting
place in the refuge. Contact Chris Corbett 405-521-8761
ccorbett at dunlapcodding.com for more info.

Other Info

*	Our July-August-September newsletter is now on-line at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron
*	More outings can be found online:
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>
http://oklahoma2.sierraclub.org/outings
*	"Wildflowers of the Great Plains" Mobile App to Hit Apple App Store
and Android Marketplace  - Immersion Media has released the "Wildflowers of
the Great Plains" mobile phone and tablet application in the Apple App Store
and Android Marketplace.    Featuring in-depth profiles of 500 plants
indigenous to the Great Plains, outdoor enthusiasts can now accurately
identify and classify local plant species with their smart phones.  The full
version of the app will feature 500 plants for $3.99.  A free lite version
featuring 25 plants is also available. (Please note: This has nothing to do
with the Sierra Club and we weren't paid to run this commercial, we just
thought it might be of interest to some of our members)

Note: You received this e-mail because our records indicated that you signed
up for it at  <http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron or at one of our events; if you
received this e-mail in error, you can un-subscribe by replying to this
e-mail with "remove" in the subject line.

Thanks!

David Franklin, Webmaster