[Ok-sus] permaculture book/resource for an 8 acre SW OKC farm?

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Mon Dec 10 23:18:28 CST 2012

Well, a good introduction to permaculture is the book Introduction to
Permaculture by Bill Mollison, which is less expensive and easier to grasp than
the full Permaculture Design Manual.  But I think its important to remember that
design principles, such as are discussed in permaculture books, are one thing,
while best practices for a situation like this is another thing.  Permaculture
is a design system.  People often think it is about using perennial food
producing plants.  Certainly many, probably most permaculture designs would
include perennial food producing plants, but that's perennial gardening, it's
not permaculture gardening. Permaculture is the design system that decides where
you put your perennial food producing plants and describes how they beneficially
integrate into your system, whether that be a household, a ranch, a farm, a
school, a business, whatever it may be. It is a way of designing your life so
you live in accordance with the permaculture ethics of caring for people, caring
for the planet, and having a care for the future.

I am not aware of anyone that has written a book applying permaculture design
principles to the situation in southwest Oklahoma.  So the best that can be done
I think is to study something like Intro to Permaculture while also picking up
some best practices from other books.

I would say that the most important additional book actually is two books, the
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, volumes 1 and 2, because I grew up in
southwest Oklahoma, and water is an extremely critical issue down that way.

Then you could add Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest, and browse the books by
Joel Sallatin for information on various cultivation practices.  He's in
Virginia, so some discernment is involved, but his books on managing cattle for
direct sales to customers are really good.

Kouric's Maintaining Your Edible Landscape Naturally is a great guide to the
issues involved with horticulture (managing a mixture of perennial and annual
edible and useful plants for household use).

If I was going to build a house in southwest Oklahoma, my only choice would be
an underground or mostly earth-sheltered house.  The reason for that is simple
"extreme weather."  Actually, if I was building a house anywhere in Oklahoma it
would be an underground or mostly earth sheltered house.  If I could bury my
existing house in Gatewood I would, but that's not practical.  Just imagine how
Code Enforcement would react to that.  Their heads would explode.  I would be in
a lot of trouble, lol.  So I won't bury my house but if it ever gets blown away
in a tornado, underground is what I am replacing it with.  I think going forward
into the future, the weather may become so extreme so often that along the Great
Plains, people will get very interested in underground architecture.

My final suggestion is to find some old timers who have lived in the immediate
area of their acreage for a long time and become good friends with them and
learn from them what that area is like.  They could also consult the Oklahoma
Mesonet for climate records for that area and they should go back as far as they
can to see how the situation is regarding weather.

Bob Waldrop
Certificate in Permaculture Design, 2007, Elfin Permaculture/Florida
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org