[Ok-sus] OKC Nanny State Alert ROBERT: WHAT IS THE BILL NUMBER

Joel Olson joel.olson at cox.net
Tue Dec 18 21:51:19 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop1952 at att.net>
To: "ALBERT" <jancoa at asme.org>; <ok-sus at lists.oksustainability.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Ok-sus] OKC Nanny State Alert ROBERT: WHAT IS THE BILL NUMBER

> AFAIK, that isn't available at this time.  My source for this was an article
> in
> the OK Gazette a couple of weeks ago where the City announced its "legislative
> agenda" for the coming session, and this was one of the issues they want to
> work
> on.
>

> Maybe we need to work on a "sustainability agenda" for the state legislature.
> It could be --
>
> (1) No support for the OKC request on lowering the actionable grass length
> from
> 12 inches to 8 inches,
> (2) Support for a cottage food law.
> (3) End the use of public domain for economic development purposes (this is
> both
> a social justice and an environmental issue it seems to me).
>
> What else (that is do-able in the current legislative environment)?
>
> Bob Waldrop

Rather than enforce short grass lawns, we need to look for water
conservation options, and enable xeriscaping in all the towns. (This
goes double for OKC, Moore and Norman, where they will soon have
to do something about runoff into Lake Thunderbird.

OK needs a strong Renewable Portfolio Standard, say 25%. By 2020
would be good, but 2025 may be do-able.

We also need to expand the net metering law (now with tight size
limiations) to enable "group net metering"; and to ensure a quick,
no-hassle connection policy.