[Ok-sus] TPF President: Will Tar Sands Poison Oklahoma?

Left Democrat progressive.edge at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 20:25:42 CST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Mark Manley, TPF President
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 4:22 PM
Subject: Will Tar Sands Poison Oklahoma?

       Hello Neighbor,
I am writing to you about a subject I know you will want to know
about because it affects everyone’s health.
A Canadian company is using eminent domain to seize land in
Oklahoma and Texas for the purpose of running a pipeline carrying a poisonous
mixture of tar sands and carcinogens. This Keystone XL pipeline, running from
Canada to Texas, is a larger version of one that has spilled far more than the
company building it would like you to know.
2010: July 25-26: A tar sands pipeline operated by Enbridge Inc.
spilled around one million gallons of tar sands oil into the Kalamazoo River.
Because tar sands oil is unlike conventional crude and more difficult to clean
up, the river is still undergoing clean-up as of December 2012 and will likely
never be fully cleaned up.
The original Keystone pipeline has been in operation less than
one year. Its owner TransCanada predicted no more than one spill every seven
years. Instead of one spill every seven years, oil has spilled 11 times in the
last year. Since the pipeline will pass over 2 major aquifers as well as many
rivers, spillage is not to be taken lightly.
Similarly, the number of jobs created by the pipeline has been
vastly over-rated and the refined oil is destined for China, not the
USA.
A coalition of people in Texas has been fighting this pipeline
under the banner Tar Sands Blockade. They are a talented, dedicated group from
all over the USA and are having great success but they need help in Oklahoma. We
are about to hold our third Oklahoma organizing meeting on December
29th.
 I hope you will join us. There are many levels of
involvement so there is a place for everyone. People from the Texas group will
be there to assist.