[Ok-sus] FW: Sierra Club E-news: Meeting this Thursday!

Shauna Struby sstruby at cox.net
Tue Feb 14 10:43:26 CST 2012

From: David Franklin [mailto:david at keyevado.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:00 AM
To: david.franklin at sierraclub.org
Subject: Sierra Club E-news: Meeting this Thursday!

Sierra Club E-News - February and March Events

Remember the latest info is always on-line at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron

February

*	February 16 - General Group Meeting - Outings Extravaganza: Come
hear about the different adventures available through the club's outings
program.  Check out some cool gear and sample some camp-stove cooking.
Meetings start at 7:00 PM with wine and cheese, programs start at 7:30 PM.
United Life Spiritual Center,
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3332+N+Meridian
+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+OK+73122&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.177128,113.8183
59&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3332+N+Meridian+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma,+73122&z=1
7> 3332 N Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73122.
*	February 17 - UCO Jazz Lab - I'm sending this to find out if there
would be any interest in an Urban Outing to the following Jazz Lab
performance: The "A.J. and Why Not" blues band will be playing Friday, Feb.
17 at 8:00. "Google-up" A.J. and Why Not blues band to get some You-Tube
clips. (Make sure to skip to the middle of the Jazz Lab clip, in order to
get the full band performing.)  I've seen this band several times and it was
great each time!  The guitar player is the full-time Edmond Director of
Water Resources. The sax player, you can see, sometimes blows two different
saxophones at the same time, for a great sound!  The lead singer also plays
the congas. There is also the keyboard, as well as bass and drums. The Jazz
Lab is such a great venue and worth every $$ whenever you can attend, and
all local artists - some from the UCO music Department.  It is located in
Edmond just south of Stephenson Park and downtown Edmond, east of the Bryant
Ave. and 4th Street intersection. The Stage is in a traditional surrounded
Shakespearian form, with a balcony with great views throughout. (Fantastic
acoustics.) You can order from a wide selection of beer, wine and soft
drinks, plus pizza from the adjacent Hide-Away Pizza restaurant, delivered
to your table.  <http://www.ucojazzlab.com/> Click here to learn more about
the UCO Jazz Lab.  I will need to know how many so that I can organize for
reservations.  Anyone interested please E-mail  <mailto:mpscharrer at cox.net>
mpscharrer at cox.net or call me at 405-824-6878.  Hope we can set something up
together! - Mike Scharrer
*	February 19, 5:00 PM - Help Stamp out Bottled Water.  You Are
Invited to Join the group conservation committee at Gopuram Indian
Restaurant (private room),
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4559+23rd,+Oklahoma+City,+OK&hl=en&sll=37.062
5,-95.677068&sspn=52.68309,113.818359&oq=4559+Northwest+23rd,+oklahom&hnear=
4559+NW+23rd+St,+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma+73127&t=m&z=17> 4559 Northwest 23rd
Street, Oklahoma City (in shopping center at NW corner of 23rd & Meridian)

*	Agenda

*	5:00-6:00pm      Buffet dinner & discussion of upcoming or potential
projects
*	6:00-8:00pm      Brainstorming session of ideas for Anti-Bottled
Water Campaign

*	All Sierra Club members and friends are most welcome! Come for any
portion or all of the meeting. Bring ideas and opinions Questions? Contact
Susie Shields Derichsweiler at  <mailto:sderichsweiler at cox.net>
sderichsweiler at cox.net or call/text 620-4989

*	February 27 & 29 - Beginner's backpacking workshop at Backwoods
(OKC).  Held over two nights from 6:30pm to 9:30pm, this class will be
taught by experienced Sierra Club backpackers and instructors along with
Backwoods staff will teach on a variety of topics to help you get started
off right.  The $25 cost includes a book and workbook.  The complete agenda
can be found on-line at  <http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings and to sign up you can e-mail Blair
Williams at  <mailto:gsblairw at gmail.com> gsblairw at gmail.com or call
405-823-8085.
*	February 29 - Party!  The Oklahoma Chapter of the Sierra Club is
throwing a party to celebrate our recent success in persuading the
administration to stand up against the Keystone XL pipeline.  We will have
free food, free non-alcoholic beverages and door prizes.

*	Who: Everyone's Invited!  Please bring your friends!
*	When: Wednesday, February 29th at 5:30 PM
*	Where: Belle Isle Brewery at 50 Penn Place, OKC
*	RSVP to  <mailto:david.ocamb at sierraclub.org>
david.ocamb at sierraclub.org

March

*	March 10 & 11 - Car camping trip to McGee Creek State Park.  Camp
among the big pines of S.E. Oklahoma.  Our campground overlooks beautiful
McGee Creek Lake and has prepared campsites and hot showers.  We will be
cooking dinner in Dutch ovens and roasting marshmallows over the fire.   We
will choose dayhikes from hiking trails ranging from 1-20 miles in length
based on how the group votes.   For more information or to sign up, e-mail
trip leader Mark Aldridge @  <mailto:Mark.Aldridge at faa.gov>
Mark.Aldridge at faa.gov   For more on the park see
<http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.4972>
http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.4972
*	March 13 - Indoor Rock Climbing - Indoor Rock Climbing on Wednesday,
March 13 at 6:00pm. Join us at the Rocktown climbing gym (downtown OKC), 200
SE 4th St, 73129. Cost is $27 (includes, day pass, equipment, and belay
training/safety class) For more information, contact Traci Schaeffer -
<mailto:tracischaeffer at gmail.com> tracischaeffer at gmail.com  For directions
and other info about the gym, see  <http://rocktowngym.com/>
http://rocktowngym.com/
*	March 15 - General Group Meeting - Capital Shenanigans: Meet new
Chapter Director David Ocamb and join us for an update about goings on at
the State Capitol - the good, the bad and the truly ugly. The Legislature
will be well into the 2012 session by March and issues should be becoming
clear. This promises to be a big year for the environment as lawmakers
wrestle with the new water plan, energy choices, and corporate hogs at the
trough. Come find out what they're up to and how you can get involved.
Meetings start at 7:00 PM with wine and cheese, programs start at 7:30 PM.
United Life Spiritual Center, 3332 N Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73122.
Meetings start at 7:00 PM with wine and cheese, programs start at 7:30 PM.
United Life Spiritual Center,
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3332+N+Meridian
+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+OK+73122&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.177128,113.8183
59&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3332+N+Meridian+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma,+73122&z=1
7> 3332 N Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73122.

*        March 16 - 5:00-10:00pm - St. Patricks's Day Green Drinks (BYOB)
party hosted by Sustainable OKC (Come & go or come & stay) at the
Derichsweilers - 217 NW 27 - All green-minded folks are invited to attend.
Bring a friend, an idea or an opinion.

*	March 17 - Statewide Leadership Retreat.  Join Sierra Club leaders
from across Oklahoma and learn how members can make a difference and
explore, enjoy and protect Oklahoma.  There is no cost for this event for
members, non-members can join for only $35.  The event will be held on the
shores of Lake Arcadia (Edmond, OK) at the
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7201+East+33rd,+Edmond,+OK&hl=en&sll=35.62389
7,-97.369203&sspn=0.012209,0.019205&hnear=7201+E+33rd+St,+Edmond,+Oklahoma+7
3013&t=h&z=16> Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Arcadia
Education Center.  We will have four sessions, each session will feature
multiple speakers.

*	9:00-9:30            Welcome Session (informal, those travelling
longer distances would only need to be there by 9:20)
*	9:30-10:55          Session I: Resources for Sierra Club Volunteers
*	10:55-11:05       Break
*	11:05-12:30       Session II: Making a difference in state
government
*	12:30-1:30          Lunch (on your own)
*	1:30-3:00            Session III: How you can help to protect
Oklahoma's environment
*	3:00-3:15            Break
*	3:15-4:00            Session IV: How to find and engage volunteers
*	4:00-4:15            Closing Session: What's Next?
*	Sign up now at:
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/chapter/retreat_signup.htm>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/chapter/retreat_signup.htm

*	March 20 - Reskilling - We are pleased to announce that the Sierra
Reskilling Group will host a class on "Solar Collector Building" on Tuesday,
March 20, 2012, 6:30-9:30pm, at Mayflower Church (3901 NW 63rd Street). This
is a follow-up class to the "Solar Battery Building" class held last August.
David Nordahl, certified solar installer for EnergyWise Systems, will be the
instructor for this class. Registration cost is $30.00.  The purpose of this
first announcement is to determine who may wish to purchase supplies to
build their own solar collector and battery which can be assembled with the
instructor's help during the class. If you do not wish to purchase supplies,
you may come and learn anyway. But, if you wish to purchase supplies, you
must notify Kim Cooper-Hart by e-mail  <mailto:kimcooperhart at gmail.com>
kimcooperhart at gmail.com asap so that the supplies can be ordered. Cost for
everything you will need to assemble your own unit are:

*	1) Smaller system (40-45W 12V solar panel): $334 + tax + shipping +
optional panel mounts
*	2) Larger system (40-100W 12V solar panel): $564 + tax + shipping +
optional panel mounts
*	If you wish to sign up for the class (with or without supplies),
please e-mail Kim. She will reply with the address where you can send a
check for registration and supplies. If you are ordering supplies, the
deadline for receipt of your check is Feb 10. If you do not purchase
supplies but wish to register for the class, deadline for receipt of your
check is March 2.

*	March 24 7:00pm - Wedding celebration for Rick Wicker & Mary
Strasner at the Derichsweilers - 217 NW 27 - Please join Sierra Club members
and other friends of Rick & Mary to celebrate their wedding (ceremony
actually taking place Feb. 25)
*	March 30 - April 1st - Beginner's Backpack to Horsethief Springs.
This is a basic beginners' backpack in SE Oklahoma.  The Horsethief Springs
trail is a great place to get a taste of the history of the Ouachita
Mountains.  Horsethief Springs Trail is one of the most beautiful trails in
OK. The trail begins at Cedar Lake and loops through many different tree
species -- loblolly pine, sweet gum, dogwood, and many others.   The full
trail loop is 10+ miles and has an elevation gain and loss of 1050 feet.
However, we will "cheat" a little and cut off most of the 5 miles of climb
by beginning the hike off Talimina Drive on the Ouachita National Recreation
Trail for 1.2 miles before we connect on the second half of the Horsethief
Springs loop.  So, we will hike a total of only about 7 miles down the
northern face of Winding Stair Mountain to Cedar Lake, with a 200 foot
elevation gain and about a 1050 foot elevation loss during the hike.  We may
have to cross a couple of small streams.  Portions of this trail are located
along some logging roads from the 1920's.  The trail follows the route horse
thieves used in the late 1800s.  They made their camps and corrals near the
top of Winding Stair Mountain because of the existence of a perennial
spring.  The CCC (Civilian Conservations Corps) built a stone structure in
the 1930s to contain the spring water and prevent erosion.  For complete
information see  <http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings or contact leader Van Barker at
405-377-6256 or  <mailto:vanbarker01 at yahoo.com> vanbarker01 at yahoo.com
*	March 31 - Dutch Oven Cooking  ** Moved to April 21st ** Postponed
from August due to the fire ban! I have found a jewel in Mark Aldridge, the
instructor for this class. His plan is to have 18 students, 3 instructors,
and 6-8 Dutch ovens at his place near SW 119th and Council from 10am to noon
(ish). We will start the food cooking then watch a power point presentation.
Mark will demonstrate how to reclaim the D.O. I ruined with improper
storage. Then we get to sample the yummy results of Dutch Oven cooking. The
cost will be $15.00 per student. Registration is open now and will close
3/15. Call Diane at (405)229-6147 or e-mail to
<mailto:kimcooperhart at gmail.com> kimcooperhart at gmail.com register.

Other Info

*	More outings can be found online:
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings> http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org
*	Our January-February-March newsletter is now on-line at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron

Message from Mike Scharrer

*	I need to know if there is any interest in a trip to the
<http://www.bwca.com/> Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and possibly
into the Canadian Quetico Provincial Park.  This trip will not go until late
August or early September, but I need to know of the interest in the
Cimarron Group, other Sierra Club members, and your friends and relatives --
up to a maximum of eight persons.  This will be a 10 day trip.  Entrance
into the Wilderness Area is restricted to specific entry points and then
restricted to a specific number of people and canoes per entry point.  I
will need to reserve a selected entry point as early as possible because the
spots for the best entry fill up quickly.  Camping is also on a restricted
basis.  They want you to camp in only selected spots, to restrict impact to
the wilderness.  They then move the camp spots every 10 years or so in order
to let the camp spots "recover".  We will try to canoe across the border
into Canada (pretty much anywhere), where we can camp anywhere along the
shoreline.  I will also need to select an outfitter where we can rent the
canoes and special "Duluth" packs, as well as obtain pretty much anything
else we might need.  I will need to pick a route where there will be as few
portages as possible, yet allow us to experience the many rapids and
waterfalls throughout the area.  Participants will need to be in good enough
physical shape to shoulder a canoe then up to two packs at a time, over some
steep, rocky and rooted portage trails, with some marshy conditions and
possible windblown trees to contend with. The late Summer trip time will
allow for warm enough water to swim, yet late enough to see some leaf color
changes, ripe blueberries (for the pancakes), mushrooms and reduced mosquito
populations!  Those of us who want to fish can supplement our meals quite
easily! There is good fishing for Northern Pike, Walleye, and Smallmouth
Bass, pretty much anywhere.  We will be following the same routes as the
first trappers and Voyeguers.  We will also be stopping on the way to the
BWCA to experience the unique scenery of the North Shore of Lake Superior.
There are cliffs, waterfalls and an historical lighthouse along the way.
There will be a lot of planning involved in a trip like this so it is
necessary to consider it as far enough ahead as possible. The best entry
point permits go quickly as the permits are on a first contact basis.
Participants will need to have at least a medium knowledge and experience
with a canoe, working together, since we will run into wind at some point
while on the larger lakes that will be inevitable on any BWCA trip.  We will
be able to enjoy the Bald Eagles and Common Loons, as well as many other
northern arboreal and wetland birds and animals.  Seeing Moose, Beaver, and
Black Bear will be possible, as well as listening to the Wolf calls at
night.  With all of the solar storms and sun flair activity lately, we will
also probably witness the Northern Lights...and no light pollution!  We will
need to pack for any weather, but it should be a wonderful experience
regardless!  I encourage anyone interested to InterNet search any of the
above keywords for environmental and historical information.  The BWCA was
one of the first designated in the National Wilderness System.  Especially
search for maps showing the different lakes, rivers, portages and designated
trip routes.  Please let me know of your interest ASAP by E-mail or phone:
(405) 824-6878  <mailto:mpscharrer at cox.net> mpscharrer at cox.net Thank you.
Mike Scharrer

Note: You received this e-mail because our records indicated that you signed
up for it at  <http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron or at one of our events; if you
received this e-mail in error, you can un-subscribe by replying to this
e-mail with "remove" in the subject line.

Thanks!

David Franklin, Webmaster