[Ok-sus] FW: Pesticides

Shauna Struby sstruby at cox.net
Tue Feb 21 09:51:40 CST 2012

From: Ken Cook, EWG [mailto:ewg at ewg.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:07 AM
To: sstruby at cox.net
Subject: Pesticides

Remember to add ewg at ewg.org to your contact list.

<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=snRq8NTFBVeAKDiR%2FBkkM%2BTVGqr
Gwu58> EWG Logo

<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=3%2FEMcxOE%2Fo4yKbkJEMzVX6doFtE
mfjMC>
<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=3%2FEMcxOE%2Fo4yKbkJEMzVX6doFtE
mfjMC> Tell the USDA not to cave to industry pressure
<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=3%2FEMcxOE%2Fo4yKbkJEMzVX6doFtE
mfjMC>

Dear Shauna,

I know you count on EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce when
deciding which fruits and vegetables to buy organic and which ones are ok to
buy conventional. But EWG counts on the U.S. Department of Agriculture to
publish complete, unbiased pesticide data to create our guide.

For the last two years, the pesticide lobby, especially a front group called
the Alliance for Food and Farming, has waged a multi-front campaign to get
the USDA to repackage its pesticide data with industry talking points that
downplay risks and consumers' concerns. And they attacked EWG's Shopper's
Guide to Pesticides in Produce in the bargain.

We expect to see USDA's 2010 pesticide data soon and fully expect that the
agency has not caved to industry pressure. Giving you the information you
need is too important. Your tax dollars paid for the government's pesticide
tests. So please stand with EWG today to make sure the USDA tells us the
whole truth about pesticides on our food.

Click here to tell the USDA not to cave to industry's pressure - you want to
know what you're eating.
<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=k%2BY2XLigIVGeSetxgSP1pKdoFtEmf
jMC>

Last year, we launched an investigation into the Alliance for Food and
Farming and its efforts to influence the USDA. We learned that:

*	The Alliance for Food and Farming - which represents the interests
of conventional agriculture producers and pesticide companies - received a
$180,000 grant from USDA in 2010 to slam "Environmental Working Group's
'dirty dozen' report," and to denounce "[c]laims by activist groups about
unsafe levels of pesticides."

*	One top USDA official even wrote a letter endorsing the use of
federal tax dollars to attack EWG. When EWG supporters like you called USDA
out for funding the project with your tax money, internal documents obtained
by EWG show that some USDA officials tried to do damage control, discussing
whether they could rescind the grant or tone down disclosures about the
project.

*	At the same time the Alliance for Food and Farming was preparing to
attack EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce, industry
representatives were lobbying hard to have USDA change the way it would
release pesticide data to include more industry-friendly spin downplaying
the risks of pesticide residues.

*	More than a dozen industry representatives - including members of
the Alliance for Food and Farming board of directors who led the campaign
against EWG - wrote Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack last year telling him
to prevent "environmental activists" from presenting USDA pesticide data in
a way that would hurt business.

Thanks to you, the Alliance for Food and Farming's government grant was not
renewed. You told the USDA that consumers (and taxpayers!) want unbiased
pesticide data released.

Let's do it again this year. Make sure USDA officials know they can't cave
to industry pressure - Americans want to know the truth. Take action today.

Click here to tell the USDA not to cave to industry's pressure - you want to
know what you're eating.
<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=NE4j53HIktr69L3cHgKAvuTVGqrGwu5
8>

Thank you for standing with EWG against the pesticide lobby.

Sincerely,
  <https://donate.ewg.org/images/ewg_sig.gif>
Ken Cook
President, Environmental Working Group

  <https://donate.ewg.org/images/followus.jpg>

<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=o5uvnZ8%2FKjJSscTqzvB0AKdoFtEmf
jMC> Donate!

<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=sgAo6SD64PR2gZAFQbCXTadoFtEmfjM
<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=PlezEIDHsbwZ5WhHxkixhqdoFtEmfjM
C> Twitter

UNSUBSCRIBE
<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=tcW%2FWp9bS9gQNVRPzKfF16doFtEmf
jMC>  | CHANGE OPTIONS
<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=rn1qfvTueLEyKzwIdiPOE6doFtEmfjM

The Environmental Working Group is a non-profit, non-partisan research
organization dedicated to using the power of information to protect human
health and the environment. The EWG Action Fund is a legislative advocacy
organization that uses EWG research to promote healthy and sustainable
policies.

HEADQUARTERS 1436 U St. NW, Suite 100 | Washington, DC 20009 | (202)
667-6982

  <http://action.ewg.org/salsa/TrackImage?key=1382886820>