[Ok-sus] The first lesson of local food systems. Expecting a FOODGASM?

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Tue Jan 17 09:33:34 CST 2012

The first lesson of local food systems is --

If we want a more just, sustainable, and humane system of agriculture, there must be a market for the products of a just, sustainable, and humane system of agriculture.

That’s what the Oklahoma Food Cooperative has been doing these past eight years – making it easier for everyone to make better food choices.

Now comes a once-a-year opportunity to really show our support for Oklahoma farmers – the Annual Meeting of the Oklahoma Food Cooperative, February 4, 2012, at the historic Old Farmers Market, located at 311 S Klein, which is at the southwest edge of downtown, just south of Reno and west of Western.

This FOODGASM event begins at 12 Noon, with the Coop’s Meet, Greet, and Eat, where many of our producers will set up booths and meet their customers and offer samples of their foods and non-food products.  Business starts at 2 PM.  Reception with cash bar and contra dancing follows the business meeting.

And then, the Pièce de résistance, our gala evening banquet celebrating our eight years of work AND the 2012 Year of the Cooperative!

Tickets to the banquet are still available!

The menu includes -- Pot roast, herb roasted winter vegetables, squash fritters, egg salad, tomato pesto, squash and jalapeno pepper fritters, mashed garlic cauliflower, deviled eggs, breads, Oklahoma butter, apple cobbler, pumpkin mousse, broccoli pecan salad. . . all from local producers, catered for our dining pleasure by long-time Oklahoma food entrepreneur April Harrington!

Tickets are only $15 for one or $25 for two!  Imagine how much you would have to pay for a feast like this from an upscale Oklahoma City restaurant -- if it would even be available!

This is a once-a-year opportunity to revel in the developing Oklavore regional cuisine, demonstrate your public support for local food systems, AND have a great meal amongst convivial company! ! Non members of the Coop are welcome!  To buy tickets, go to http://www.oklahomafood.coop , click on the BUY NOW button at the left side of the screen. Buy however many tickets you want via the PayPal system! Bring friends!

Questions?  Contact me at bwaldrop at cox.net

Bob Waldrop
Special Events Manager
Oklahoma Food Cooperative

PS.  Booth space for like-minded organizations and businesses is still available for the Annual Meeting.  Contact me for details!