[Ok-sus] FW: Sierra Club E-News - Meeting this Thursday + May, June events

Shauna Struby sstruby at cox.net
Mon May 14 18:18:15 CDT 2012

From: David Franklin [mailto:david at keyevado.com]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 10:07 PM
To: david.franklin at sierraclub.org
Subject: Sierra Club E-News - Meeting this Thursday + May, June events

Sierra Club E-News - Meeting this Thursday + May, June events

Remember the latest info is always on-line at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron

May

*	May 17 - Join us May 17th at 8:30 AM at Compass Park (map
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.447613,-97.511623&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=17> )
for a press conference before OG&E begins their annual shareholder meeting -
calling on them to move beyond coal (press conference will feature and
airplane banner tow with message to OG&E)  The Beyond Coal Campaign needs
volunteers!  We have yard signs for clean energy that we need to distribute
to our members and supporters.  You can help!  We'll be making phone calls
this month to find folks willing to post a sign in their yard- as well as
doing delivery day blitz events in June and we need ground troops and phone
bankers!  Contact Martha Holland to volunteer: marthaholland at sbcglobal.net
We're also tabling at the Paseo Arts Festival and will be taking pictures of
folks who want to be a part of our Beyond Coal Photo Wall.  (mid-afternoon
shifts are available on May 26, 27th & 28th) Scripts & Instructions will be
provided.  Please email Doug Hill to let him know when you can volunteer:
Isawwood925 at aol.com
*	May 17 - General Group Meeting - Let's Get Dirty! John Leonard and
Kim Paddyaker will lead a discussion on alternative ways to garden in this
challenging and changing climate. Leonard has a certified organic farm in El
Reno, where he grows for the Farmers'  Market and Paddyaker has a degree in
horticulture and is an active Master Gardener - skills she puts to use in
the gardens of local clients. Fall gardening, and companion planting to
create shade breaks are among the many topics to be covered. Certified
organic vegetable and herb starter plants will be available for purchase.
The annual Patty Imboden Memorial Gaillardias will also be available at this
event.  Stick around for a chance to win a variety of garden -based raffle
items.  Meetings start at 7:00 PM with wine and cheese, programs start at
7:30 PM.  United Life Spiritual Center,
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3332+N+Meridian
+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+OK+73122&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.177128,113.8183
59&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3332+N+Meridian+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma,+73122&z=1
7> 3332 N Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73122.
*	May 19-20 - Car Camping @ Great Plains State Park - Enjoy a weekend
at the Great Salt Plains in NW Oklahoma digging for selenite crystals and
bird watching. We will camp at the Salt Plains State Park and dig for
crystal in the Salt Plains Wildlife Refuge. There are trails for bird
watching areas. We will have a pot luck dinner Saturday night. If you are
interested in going please contact Tara Barker.  Complete details on-line at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings or e-mail
<mailto:barkertara at yahoo.com> barkertara at yahoo.com for more info.
*	May 25-28 - Tent Camping at Chaco Culture National Historic Park May
25-28 - Tent Camping at Chaco Culture National Historic Park - In 1987 Chaco
Culture National Historic Park (formerly Chaco Canyon National Monument) was
designated a UNESCO World Heritage site (one of only twenty in the US) in
recognition of the uniqueness of the civilization centered there from 850 to
1250 AD. As a group we will explore this special place over the Memorial Day
weekend by participating in ranger-led guided tours of the "ruins" and by
attending nightly campground programs, including the unique Chaco Night Sky
Program. We will also hike the trails in the area, gaining spectacular views
from atop the mesa while visiting outlier ruins. We will camp together at a
group site in the park and otherwise enjoy the beautiful natural setting of
Chaco Canyon.  For more information contact Thomas & Deborah Walls -
wallstk at att.net or debwallspa at att.net or see complete details online at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings.

June

*	June 2 - Dayhike @ 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM - Wichita Mountain Day Hike -
Come join the Sierra Club for a day in the Wichita's where the American
buffalo and longhorn cattle roam freely and some of the most scenic places
in the State of Oklahoma are. We will be hiking Charons Garden, located on
the western side of the refuge. Charons Garden trail offers primitive hiking
adventure with some beautiful vistas. This trail is 5 miles round trip and
offers its visitors with some moderate to rough trails, boulder hopping, and
multiple photo opportunities. If you would like to carpool, please meet at
the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman, OK at 8:15 AM. We will be leaving at 8:30
AM for the Wichita Mountains.  For more info contact Chris Applegate
417-294-0698 cdapplegate at gmail.com
*	June 2 - Reskilling Summer Tree Pruning Workshop. LeeAnn Barton from
Dave Wilson Nurseries will teach us how to prune fruit (and other) trees.
This workshop will be held in Edmond from 1-3 pm. Cost is $15.00.
Registration is open now and will close Fri, June 1. To register, e-mail Kim
at zenrei2000 at yahoo.com
*	June 21 - General Group Meeting - 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Think Global,
Eat Local.  Think Global, Eat Local. Enjoy an evening of locally-sourced,
seasonal, tastings and learn more about the impact of shifting food dollars
from industrialized, megafarms, to the local, sustainably-scaled farms,
closer to home. Say goodbye to "pink slime" and hello to unadulterated,
locally-raised bounty. You might even win something yummy! Meetings start at
7:00 PM with wine and cheese, programs start at 7:30 PM.  United Life
Spiritual Center, 3332 N Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73122.
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3332+N+Meridian
+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+OK+73122&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.177128,113.8183
59&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3332+N+Meridian+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma,+73122&z=1
7>
*	June 30th - July 3rd - Canoe the Buffalo National River - Float the
"middle" section from Hasty to Gilbert past scenic bluffs and cliffs of the
Ozark country. We'll paddle the scenic Buffalo for three days, spending two
nights camped on gravel bars around a toasty campfire.  We will use
outfitter canoes only - no personal watercraft.  The trip is moderately
difficult.  No special paddling experience is required, but participants
need to be in good shape to paddle for this long.  Contact the leader Mike
Scharrer at 824-6878 or mpscharrer at cox.net for more info or see complete
details on-line at http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings Sign-up by June
15th.

Other Info

*	Our April-May-June newsletter is now on-line at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron
*	More outings can be found online:
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings
*	Attention Stillwater area residents, information on our Summer
Nature Camp is on-line now at  <http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/camp>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/camp

Note: You received this e-mail because our records indicated that you signed
up for it at  <http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron or at one of our events; if you
received this e-mail in error, you can un-subscribe by replying to this
e-mail with "remove" in the subject line.

Thanks!

David Franklin, Webmaster