[Ok-sus] Fw: MAPS 3 Sidewalks Update

Christine Patton tryishmael at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 17:03:07 CST 2012

Christine Patton

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Neighborhood Alliance <georgie at nacok.org>
To: tryishmael at yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2012 4:46 PM
Subject: MAPS 3 Sidewalks Update

Neighborhood Alliance likes to keep you informed on topics of interest to Oklahoma City Metro Area Neighbors. If you do not wish to receive these updates or would like to change your contact information, please use the "unsubscribe" and "update" links at the bottom of this page.

MAPS 3 sidewalk plans move forward
City Council today approved a sidewalk master plan report that prioritizes where MAPS 3 sidewalks should be located based on criteria set by the project's citizen subcommittee.

The report examines sidewalk locations for more than 215 miles and identifies where new sidewalks should be constructed.  Budget constraints are forcing the reduction of the number of sidewalk-miles planned from 70 to approximately 25 to 36 miles.  Estimates are conservative and are based on a range of recent bids.

The project's $9.1 million budget includes site prep, architectural and engineering fees and a contingency.

"Our original cost estimates used assumptions that didn't take into consideration the specific sidewalk locations since they were not determined at the time the estimates were made," MAPS 3 program manager David Todd said. "The cost of utility conflicts, significant grade changes, ADA requirements and the number of commercial and residential driveways to be replaced are also factors that could not be specifically quantified."

The estimate was also based on sidewalks that are four feet wide rather than the required five or in some areas, six-foot-wide sidewalks.

The criteria for sidewalk locations was set by the MAPS 3 Trails and Sidewalks Subcommittee, City Council and City staff to identify locations with the greatest need for sidewalks.  They include proximity to schools, bus routes, parks, libraries, hospitals, population and employment density, pedestrian-involved accidents and desire paths.  Desire paths are well tread trails along the side of the street created by pedestrian or bicycle use.

"Staying within our budget is critical as we move forward," Todd added. "We will build as many miles of sidewalk as we can, while staying within our budget."

The first phase of construction on the sidewalks is expected to begin in spring 2013.

The presentation that David Todd made to City Council today can be watched here and the PowerPoint presentation can be viewed here.

The top ranked locations are below:
1     Western Avenue from Hefner Road to Britton Road
2     MacArthur Blvd from Wilshire Blvd to Britton Road
3     Western Avenue from SW 104th to SW 98th
4     May Avenue from SW 59th & SW 61st to SW 80th & SW 89th
5     May Avenue from NW 50th to NW 63rd
6     Penn Avenue from SW 96th to SW 104th
7     May Avenue from NW 36th to NW 50th
8     Penn Avenue from SW 59th to SW 74th
9     Penn Avenue from SW 77th to SW 84th
10   NW 63rd from Meridian Avenue to Ann Arbor Terrace
11   Classen from NW 34th to NW 35th to NW 38th to NW 49th
12   May Ave from Hefner Rd to Quail Creek Rd north of NW 122nd
13   May Avenue from SW 29th to SW 59th
14   SE 44th from Shields to Walker
15   May Avenue from NW 63rd to Wilshire Blvd
16   Penn Avenue from Memorial Road to N 122nd
17   Meridian Avenue from NW 63rd to NW 50th
18   Western Avenue from SW 74th to SW 80th
19   Western Avenue from South of SW 39th to SW 29th
20   NW 122nd from May Avenue to Penn Avenue
21   SW 44th from Blackwelder to Penn Avenue
22   Meridian Avenue from NW 36th to NW 23rd
23   NE 63rd from East Broadway to Martin Luther King
24   NW 50th from MacArthur Blvd to Meridian Avenue
25   Western Avenue from SW 59th to SW 44th
26   SW 44th from Penn Avenue to May Avenue
27   Martin Luther King from NE 23rd to NE 32nd
28   Penn Avenue from NW 122nd to Hefner Road
29   SW 89th from Western Avenue to Santa Fe Avenue
30   May Avenue from NW 10th to NW 19th

MAPS 3 updates are available by subscribing to the MAPS 3 e-newsletter at www.okc.gov/maps3/.

follow MAPS 3 on Twitter |  friend MAPS 3 on Facebook
Forward this email

This email was sent to tryishmael at yahoo.com by georgie at nacok.org |
Neighborhood Alliance| 1236 NW 36th St.| Oklahoma City| OK| 73118