[Ok-sus] 2013 Internships at the Kerr Center

George Kuepper gkuepper at kerrcenter.com
Fri Oct 12 14:41:32 CDT 2012

Kerr Center’s 2013

INTERNSHIP PROGRAM

Internship opportunities will again be available at Kerr Center’s
Stewardship Ranch, near Poteau, Oklahoma. These internships are part of a
long-term plan to develop Kerr Center as a destination for education and
training in sustainable agriculture.  Student interns work alongside staff
to develop demonstrations and deliver educational programs.

What Kerr Center Interns Do:
Our internship program focuses primarily on hands-on activities in
sustainable livestock and organic horticulture.  These activities include
field and, when necessary, laboratory and shop work.

The livestock program revolves primarily around:

1)      preservation and production of Pineywoods cattle—a heritage breed;

2)      establishment of a Kiko goat herd;

3)      development of Management Intensive Grazing (MIG) for the Pineywoods
and Kiko stock;

4)      evaluation of meat goat genetics for forage-based production—an
on-going trial in cooperation with Oklahoma State University;

5)      integration of free-range poultry with grass-based ruminant
production—a research trial in cooperation with USDA/ARS.

Livestock activities may include fence building, moving stock, pasture
evaluation, animal health management, and weighing and scoring goat
performance.

The horticulture program is focused on:

1)      organic soil building and weed management through crop rotation and
the use of cover crops;

2)      exploring and implementing on-farm fertility supplementation using
compost, vermicompost, compost teas and extracts, biochar, and other
farm-generated inputs;

3)      evaluation of heritage vegetable varieties;

4)      season extension.

Horticulture interns may assist in various aspects of horticultural work
including planting, cultivation, irrigation, composting, integrated pest
management, and harvest activities.

Livestock and horticulture interns also spend about 20 percent of their time
in guided learning activities and projects that typically include academic
reading and study, attending local field days, workshops, and meetings.  In
all instances, topics addressed will be relevant to sustainable agriculture
and supportive of Kerr Center's work.

And because of our focus on education, interns will be expected to
participate in one or more field days—presenting the details of work they
are doing.  They may also be asked to conduct tours for visitors, speak to
local groups, and/or write publications and reports.

Working Conditions:
Hands-on work in horticulture and livestock can be tiring and physically
demanding. Work during the summer months can be especially so due to heat,
humidity, and pests. Those with health conditions that might be limited by
these conditions should not apply.

Interns are expected to work and study a minimum of 40 hours each week.  The
standard work week at the Kerr Center is Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm.
Schedules, however, are flexible to meet the needs of livestock chores and
crop management, inclement weather, and the timing of educational events,
which are often scheduled on evenings or Saturdays.   Interns are expected
to adjust their schedules as needed.

Supervision:
Supervision will be provided by the Kerr Center's internship coordinator and
other staff managing livestock, horticulture, and other project areas.

Length of Terms:
We seek to accommodate college students, and expect that most applicants are
looking for a 10–12 week summer term.  We are open, however, to proposals
for longer or shorter terms, and also to spring or fall internships.

Openings available:

The Kerr Center has sponsored 2–4 internships per year since 2008.  We
currently have funding for 2 interns in 2013.

Compensation:

Kerr Center interns are compensated in the same manner as temporary
employees and are paid a standard minimum wage.  Interns are covered by
Workers’ Comp.  Health insurance, however, is not provided by Kerr Center,
and applicants must have proof of coverage.  Interns do not earn vacation
hours.  However, they may take time off for any holidays that fall within
the term of their internship.

Kerr Center has on-site housing with basic utilities and internet access
available for a modest rental charge.   While we prefer that interns live
on-site, they may choose alternative housing.  Poteau is roughly 5 miles
from the Ranch and has a variety of housing options.

Meals are only provided occasionally, but interns have access to produce
from demonstration horticulture projects, plus some livestock products,
free-of-charge.

Qualifications:
We are seeking high quality, self-motivated individuals, who are interested
in sustainable agriculture.

Applicants must:
- be U.S. citizens, at least 18 years of age.
- have a valid and clear U.S. driver's license.
- be in good physical health and able to do moderate physical labor, e.g.
lift 50 lbs. and be active for extended periods.
- have basic computer and communication skills.

- have health insurance.

How to apply:
We would like a resumé outlining your educational and work background, a
letter of interest, and contact information for three references.

In your letter, please indicate:
1) your preference for work primarily with livestock or with horticulture.
If you have no preference, please state so.
2) Your preferred starting date and the length of term you are seeking.
3) If you have experience and skills at writing, video development, or
formatting documents, a sample of your recent work would also be welcome.

Mail, email, or fax your application to George Kuepper at the address
provided below.

We will acknowledge receipt of your application. Phone interviews and site
visits will be arranged for promising applicants prior to final selection.

Preference will be given to permanent or temporary residents of the
Mid-south, who are enrolled in graduate or undergraduate degree programs in
agriculture, ecology, environmental policy, education, and related fields.
We especially welcome those who might seek college credit for their
experience at the Kerr Center and will provide whatever documentation your
academic department might require. While college-age students are our target
audience, we will give full consideration to applications from
non-traditional students and others.

Application Deadline:
The deadline for applications for 2013 internships is December 31, 2012.
Applications received after that time may not receive full consideration.

For Further Information, contact:
George Kuepper
Internship Coordinator
Kerr Center for Sustainable Agriculture
P.O. Box 588
Poteau, OK 74953
918.647.9123 (tel)

918-647-8712 (fax)
gkuepper at kerrcenter.com

For more information on the Kerr Center, visit our Web site at:
www.kerrcenter.com