[Ok-sus] Time for another Cash Mob in support of Oklahoma farmers

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Wed Oct 31 17:35:49 CDT 2012

In September, I put out a call for a cash mob in support of local
farmers. As a result, the Oklahoma Food Coop had one of its best month's
this year and reports suggested the farmers markets did better too.

Supporting local food systems is not a once in a while thing.  If we
want a more sustainable, just, and humane system of agriculture, then
there must be a market for the products of sustainable, just, and humane
farming operations. That means that people have to be willing to spend
some money.

In September, I talked about two or three pounds of hamburger and a bar
or two of soap, as a good monthly purchase that would total about $20.
That would work well too in November. You may want to add sweet potatoes
to the list, as we have some great tasting Oklahoma grown sweet potatoes
available this month at both the Coop and the farmer's markets that are
still open. You can find them at some of the stores now selling Oklahoma
products, like Urban Agrarian and the new Native Roots store in the Deep
Deuce.

Don't abandon our local farmers in this hour of their need! The drought
has been pitiless. Livestock producers in particular have been hit with
horrendous feed bills. Heritage breeds are in danger of the liquidation
of herds. While we in the cities aren't in a food crisis right now, who
knows what the future may bring. If the national food distribution
system breaks down, we'll be dependent upon local farmers --- but if
we've let all the local producers go bankrupt, they won't be there when
we might really need them.  The time to build a local food system indeed
is before a food crisis hits.

Everyone spends plenty of money in ways that do not care for the planet,
do not care for people, and do not have a care for the future.  So in
November --- and every month thereafter --- let's all set a goal to
always spend at least $20 to $30 in the local food economy. Make this a
cash mob that cares for people, cares for the planet, and has a care for
the future by ensuring that our local farmers make it through these
tough times.

And it's not as if I am asking you to buy something low quality. The
food and non-food items produced here in Oklahoma are superior in taste
and safety to the standard run of the mill supermarket fare.  Once or
twice a year, I use money donated by members of the Oklahoma Food Coop
to buy ground beef from Oklahoma farmers to give to the poor.  Every
time I do this I am inundated with phone calls from people we delivered
to --- "Where did you get that ground beef? It was the best hamburger
we've ever eaten?"

If you're vegan or vegetarian, you have lots of options. Take my advice
on the sweet potatoes. You certainly won't regret it.

The holiday shopping season is upon us and one good way to put your
money to work is to give local food and non-food items as gifts.  I
often send friends and family out of state jars of Oklahoma jams and
jellies, bags of pecans, and bars of Oklahoma-made artisan soaps.

November is  a great month to establish your local food buying habit.
Buy through the Oklahoma Food Coop, visit your local farmers' market,
shop at Urban Agrarian or Native Roots.  Don't take our local farmers
for granted. Let's stick with them through these hard times.   Y'all bon
appetit, you hear!

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City

Oklahoma Food Cooperative http://www.oklahomafood.coop

List of Oklahoma Farmers Markets http://okgrown.com/markets/