[Ok-sus] OGE's obstacles to home solar PV generation

David Nordahl dnordahl at electricgreensolar.com
Thu Sep 20 23:46:55 CDT 2012

Normally the installer is responsible for the grid tie application and
working with the utility since they are the ones that have designed the
system and know the details. I can send a sample grid tie app for OG&E
filled out if that bit hasn't been completed. Pretty much all meters
already support net metering, though I think OG&E upgrades grid tie
customers to smart meters if they don't already have them since they get
to see some idea of time of use and surplus productions.  A smart meter
is a bonus for the customer as it facilitates getting maximum bill
reduction from the solar output during peak rate hours because it
accounts for time of use.  I've seen people get twice the bill reduction
in the summer than they were expecting due to peak rate billing with
grid tie systems.

Some utilities will configure a dual meter setup, but I haven't seen any
in Oklahoma do that.  If the grid tie app has been approved, then there
should be no issues commissioning the system unless someone with the
utility has been specifically directed otherwise.     Worst case
scenario is that moment-to-moment surplus production won't turn the
meter back and peak rate production won't be taken into account, but I
think we're out of peak rate season by now. I haven't yet encountered a
meter that won't go backwards whether the new digital or old rotary
style.  I can track down the contact name and number for OG&E's
interconnect person if needed.  I have it archived in an email somewhere.

As a side note, I've seen customers commission systems themselves many
times immediately after or before even filing the grid tie app, and
usually the utility co's don't seem to care or notice... particularly if
it's been professionally installed and permitted with a utility
disconnect by the meter.  Not that I would ever recommend that :)