[Ok-sus] Peak oil fact of the day and an OGE fact

sjpratt at kanokla.net sjpratt at kanokla.net
Mon Dec 2 20:39:15 UTC 2013

There are so many facets to this issue, I agree.   Centralized production and distribution are always going to be fragile, for many reasons.

That said, I am not advocating any biases, they all have problems.    I do have a strong aversion to nuclear energy, I admit.   Anyone who has done any research on the waste problems and watched the Fukushima and Chernobyl situations might concur.   Don’t forget that we have had accidents in this country, too.   And the nuclear power industry is highly subsidized, has been from the beginning.   My point was that they are all subsidized, in one way or another, and talk of subsidies in comparison is a tough discussion.

When one is starting to consider any sort of home-based system, the first thing you are told is to do whatever possible to reduce your energy consumption.    That is where my emphasis has to be, while the fashion is to have huge homes with high ceilings of stick construction.    Very inefficient.

20 years ago, we built a berm home of modest size and installed a wood stove which provides all the heat we need.    I can shut up the home before leaving on vacation with the air conditioner turned off (in August) and often return 5 or 6 days later with the indoor temperature in the low to mid 80’s.    I doubt the same could be said of any of the “fashionable” homes.

We need to advocate for more energy-efficient home and business construction to help reduce energy consumption, use more efficient transportation methods (whatever fits your needs), etc.   I think most of us on this list do just that.   Advocate for more common sense.

We love our Fusion hybrid, by the way.

Sylvia Pratt

Newkirk

Sent from Windows Mail