[Ok-sus] Heat your home with aluminum cans ???

jeremiahgrace at hushmail.com jeremiahgrace at hushmail.com
Mon Dec 16 19:30:35 UTC 2013

Besides cans, what are the best weather/sun durable recyclable
materials to build these out of?  I could install 2 right now on the
south side brick of my 2 story residential and before I drill out the
holes for the airflow convection .. these ideal inlet and outlet hole
sizes out to also be known It seems 2 - 3" holes per panel ought to do
it, 2 each for the inlet bottom and 2 for the outlet top. This way I
could use 1 each in/out for each floor.

....Plastic?? Foam, wood? Wind!!
 Sent using Hushmail
On Monday, December 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM, "Bob Waldrop"  wrote:A back
of the envelope calculation would be the area of south-facing glazing
(or plastic) times the figure for btu's sq ft from my previous email,
which gives you a btu gain per hour.  It's not perfect, because if the
sides and roof aren't insulated you lose heat through the roof and the
sides.

There is benefit from air locking your door but I am not sure how to
calculate that.  There are at least three energy conservation benefits
 -- it acts as a "shelter" preventing cold winds from hitting your
wall and door, you'll get less of a sudden exit of warmth since the
temperature differential between the airlock and the inside will be
less, and you will be collecting some btus that could come into a
house via an open door or window.

The long the south face of the lean to, the more btus it can collect
and make available.

Bob Waldrop, OKC