[Ok-sus] 12 vdc to 120 AC

John Miggins jmiggins at cox.net
Fri Jan 4 08:38:07 CST 2013

Grace, it is possible to run 120 and use the same wire for 12 volt if you
use #10 wire for the runs and control the input to determine whether you put
120 or 12 volt on it.  My advice would be to run two sets of wires, keep
them separate so it is easier.  Setting up a solar battery system is fairly
easy, there are 5 components, batteries, solar panels, wiring and fusing for
safety, inverter to convert dc to ac and a charge controller. I guess
racking to hold the panels would be the sixth component.

Depending on your budget you can have a small, medium or large system, I
would use 12 volt batteries and either a 24 or 48 volt system to reduce wire
sizes and it is still possible to pull 12 volts off of this bank as well.
We recently did a system in Tulsa for 10k that is designed to give them
solar grid tie system with battery back up so it survives any outage thus
eliminating the need for a duplicate 12 volt system and appliances,, etc...

We use midnite solar components for the inverter packages, there are nice
wire diagrams there as well.

Best regards

John Miggins

Harvest Energy Solutions