[Ok-sus] FW: Sierra Club E-News - Meeting this Thursday!

Shauna Struby sstruby at cox.net
Mon Jan 14 12:07:42 CST 2013

From: David Franklin [mailto:david at keyevado.com]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 11:05 AM
To: david.franklin at sierraclub.org
Subject: Sierra Club E-News - Meeting this Thursday!

Sierra Club E-News - Meeting this Thursday!

Remember the latest info is always on-line at
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron

January

*	Jan 17th - General Meeting - There has been a lot of controversy
about changes to Martin Park Nature Center. The controversy mostly involves
proposed changes that would make the Nature Center more handicapped
accessible. While this isn't a bad thing, questions have been raised about
how this would affect the Nature Center. Would this turn the last nature
center in the metro into a park? and how would this affect wildlife in the
area? Jack McMahan, Executive Director of Wilderness Matters, has offered to
speak at our January general meeting about the proposed plans that will
affect Martin Park Nature Center. We have also asked a representative from
Friends of Martin Nature Center to attend the meeting to share their
concerns. This is a great opportunity for all that might have concerns to
learn about the various perspectives first-hand and share their thoughts
with the groups that are at the core of this debate. David Ocamb (Oklahoma
Chapter Director) will be moderating the discussion. Join us for a social
time with wine and cheese that starts at 7:00 pm and the program begins at
7:30. United Life Spiritual Center-3332 N Meridian Ave, OKC. E-mail group
chair Doug Hill at isawwood925 at aol.com for more info.
*	Jan 26th - Museum tour, Sam Noble Museum of Natural History, 2401
Chautauqua ave  Norman, Ok  We will meet at 10:00am on Saturday January 26th
at the Sam Noble Museum of Natural history. This is a premium museum and
well worth the short drive to Norman, A great family outing as well.  After
touring the museum we plan on a late lunch at the Tarahumara Mexican
restaurant in Norman. For more information visit the website
<http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/> . Contact Van Barker at vanbarker01 at yahoo.com or
cell #405-377-6256 for any additional information.

February

*	Feb 21st - General Meeting - Meet and greet Stefanie & Beau Leland,
creators and producers of "Bokoshe: In the Air We Breathe," commissioned by
the Oklahoma Chapter of the Sierra Club - and view their latest film: "Where
Did the Horny Toad Go?" Embark on a journey through history and across the
Southwest to rediscover the endearing and unusual Texas Horned Lizard.
Synopsis:  All over the Southwestern United States there exists a shared
memory that spans generations, yet with each passing decade that memory
fades... The unforgotten and beloved "horny toad" remains very near and dear
to many people's hearts. Embark on a journey as we travel through history
and across the southwest to rediscover the endearing and unusual Texas
Horned Lizard. On our voyage we'll meet a number of enthusiasts who are as
interesting as the prehistoric-looking reptile of which we seek. Ultimately
we will discover how this lizard's decline is linked to numerous other
species in peril and how we can be a part of the solution....even though we
may be part of the problem.  Q&A with Stefanie & Beau will follow the film
screening.  Join us for a social time with wine and cheese that starts at
7:00 pm and the program begins at 7:30. United Life Spiritual Center-3332 N
Meridian Ave, OKC. E-mail group chair Doug Hill at isawwood925 at aol.com  for
more info.  (Note: this is a correction from the earlier description)
*	February 25, 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Beginner's Backpacking Workshop -
Part I of II.  Come learn from experienced Sierra Club backpackers about the
basics of backpacking. This fun and educational workshop is a spread out
over two nights and covers everything from the basics of what you need to
bring to the type of gear that is suggested for different types of outings.
Price includes both nights of instruction, a workbook and the book, "Hiking
and Backpacking" by the Wilderness Education Association.  Held at Backwoods
<http://www.backwoods.com/>  in Oklahoma City. Cost is $25 for one person
and one book, or $40 for a couple and one book.  Contact Blair Williams at
gsblairw at gmail.com with questions or to sign up.
*	February 27, 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Beginner's Backpacking Workshop -
Part II of II.  Come learn from experienced Sierra Club backpackers about
the basics of backpacking. This fun and educational workshop is a spread out
over two nights and covers everything from the basics of what you need to
bring to the type of gear that is suggested for different types of outings.
Price includes both nights of instruction, a workbook and the book, "Hiking
and Backpacking" by the Wilderness Education Association.  Held at Backwoods
<http://www.backwoods.com/>  in Oklahoma City. Cost is $25 for one person
and one book, or $40 for a couple and one book.  Contact Blair Williams at
gsblairw at gmail.com with questions or to sign up.

March

*	March 2 & 3 8:00am-5:00pm Wilderness First Aid Training.  Sponsored
by the Sierra Club and the Red Cross, it will be held at the Univ. of
Central Oklahoma Center for Outdoor Adventure Recreation (OAR) at Lake
Arcadia.  Map at http://www.ucooar.com/  Cost is $80 (discounted price
available to active outing leaders who have trips scheduled in 2013, see
form for details).   This course normally fills very quickly and enrollment
is limited so enroll now by filling out the attached form accessed by
clicking "additional details".  Wilderness First Aid is a basic course in
emergency response for almost any location. This 16-hour course is for those
who work, live or play in remote areas - away from the usual EMS service.
Even though the emergency workers near these areas may be trained to search
for and rescue those in need, there may be a delay in the notification of
assistance, the time required to get to the patient, or in moving the
patient to a more advanced treatment center.  This Course Covers: Basic
First Aid Skills, Assessment of Delayed-Help Situations, Emergency Action
Steps, Emergency Evacuation and Treatment of Injuries.  It's a lot to cover
in 16 hours so class starts promptly each day.  Sign up form on-line at
http://oklahoma2.sierraclub.org/outings
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>  by clicking on the link for the
course, course fills up early so send in your form and check asap.
*	March 16 - 23 - Can you imagine a better spot to spend Spring Break
than in the Caribbean?  Come join the Sierra Club on a week-long camping
trip in Paradise.  We will spend the week at magnificent Cinnamon Bay on St.
John USVI hiking the island, snorkeling the clear water and colorful reefs
and sampling the local cuisine.  The trip is limited to 8 participants, so
if you snooze you lose.  Complete details in the pdf by clicking "additional
Information" at the link at http://oklahoma2.sierraclub.org/outings
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>

Other Info

*	The Cimarron Group's Gay and Lesbian section made the Gazette, read
about it here:
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-17285-joining-forces.html
*	More events can be found online:
http://oklahoma2.sierraclub.org/outings
<http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/outings>

Note: You received this e-mail because our records indicated that you signed
up for it at  <http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron>
http://oklahoma.sierraclub.org/cimarron or at one of our events; if you
received this e-mail in error, you can un-subscribe by replying to this
e-mail with "remove" in the subject line.

Thanks!

David Franklin, Webmaster