[Ok-sus] The sustainability community and the recent tornado disaster

Tim Lovell tulsapartners at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 12:37:05 UTC 2013

I really appreciate this discussion occurring on this network, and how to
integrate the severe weather of our region into sustainable housing.  I
agree with Maura's assessment of current housing. Wood frame can be built
stronger by providing a continuous load path anchoring roof to wall and
wall to foundation, and there is information available on such Fortified
construction at the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (
disastersafety.org).   But in terms of life safety, an above or below
ground safe room is the best. Below is an article link on a survey done in
Moore on how the safe rooms meeting engineering specifications fared in the
EF5.

There is of course nothing sustainable about taking housing debris after a
tornado to the dump, which is why building or retrofitting stronger is such
an important concept.  I am intrigued by the idea of a below ground
house, although in some of the cases the semi-underground houses I have
seen include windows at the front for passive solar, which might still make
them vulnerable to debris impact and subsequent wind and debris
infiltration. And the idea of housing materials being more sustainable post
disaster in some of the alternative housing is also an intriguing concept.
Nonetheless, I would still encourage integrating a safe room for life
safety as a part of these building strategies.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-tornadoes-aboveground-
shelters-stood-up-in-face-of-ef5-moore-tornado/article/3840636****

Tim Lovell, Executive Director
Tulsa Partners, Inc.
P.O. Box 2192
Tulsa, OK 74101-2192
(918) 632-0044

"Tulsa Partners is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization working to build a
disaster-resistant and sustainable community"

RAISE MONEY FOR TULSA PARTNERS by searching the Internet with
GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), or shopping online with GoodShop.com