[Ok-sus] The sustainability community and the recent tornado disaster

Shelley Smith canokie67 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 00:22:59 UTC 2013

You make a good point out of houses made of natural materials - when they
are destroyed at least they don't pollute the environment. My son
volunteered in Moore after the tornado and he said there was pink
fiberglass insulation EVERYWHERE. So many modern buildings are toxic, and
it is very unfortunate that all of that stuff is going to the landfill.

It does sound like a house that could survive a direct hit from an F-5
tornado would have to be underground and probably without windows (or maybe
shuttered windows). I read one account of an underground house with front
windows that basically exploded due to pressure changes when the tornado
hit. Would have never thought of that.

Anyway, it is probably best to just build the sturdiest house you can out
of natural materials and then have a storm shelter that is tornado proof
for when the worst happens. Most of the time (well, except for lately!) F-5
tornadoes are rare, and being in its direct path is also rare (I am
concerned that this may be changing though due to the heat island effect
that Bob discussed). But there is a lot one can do to make a house sturdier
and able to withstand a weaker tornado, not to mention hail, high winds,
etc. A house built of natural materials - straw bale, adobe, cob, earth
sheltered or log cabin - is going to fare much better than your average
suburban home built today.  When I had my house built three years ago, I
felt good about buying a brick house - it sounded so solid. I was pretty
surprised when the only brick they used was a thin layer of small bricks on
the outside.

Shelley