[Ok-sus] Upcoming events for Friends of Lake Overholser and the Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge

friendsoflakeoverholser at cox.net friendsoflakeoverholser at cox.net
Tue Mar 5 01:46:04 UTC 2013

The Friends of Lake Overholser and the Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge
organized on February 23, 2013 to protect and preserve the natural areas
around Lake Overholser and the Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge. Let us know
if you would like to be a part of our group!

March 5 - Election day in Wards 1 and 7
<http://www.okc.gov/council/wardmap/wardmap.pdf>  in Oklahoma City. The
Friends of Lake Hefner sent out a questionnaire to the candidates
running for the Ward 1 Council seat. See the attached for their

March 23; 2:00pm - FOLO has applied to adopt Lake Overholser through OKC
Beautiful's Adopt-a-Park
<http://www.okcbeautiful.com/programs/adopt-a-park/>  program. As part
of our commitment to that, we will be cleaning up trash in the park at
least once a month. This is our first litter collection event. Meet at
2pm at the Rt. 66 Boathouse. It will last about 1 - 2 hours.

March 28; 11:30am - 1:00pm - OKC Beautiful's 30th Distinguished Service
Awards Luncheon
<http://www.okcbeautiful.com/news-events/annual-luncheon/> . For more
information about the event or sponsorship, please contact Kasey
Steffen, marketing and events manager, at (405) 525-8822 or email her at
Kasey at okcbeautiful.com. Volunteer Spirit Award: FOLO's Karen Miles

April 6; 8:30am - In celebration of Keep America Beautiful’s National
Day of Action <http://www.kab.org/site/PageServer?pagename=programs_gac>
on Saturday April 6th, citizens will be banding together as part of Keep
Oklahoma Beautiful’s (KOB) Great American Clean-Up
<http://www.keepoklahomabeautiful.com/great-american-cleanup> , OKC
Beautiful’s Litter Blitz
<http://www.okcbeautiful.com/programs/litterblitz> , and American
Rivers’ National River Clean-Up
<http://www.americanrivers.org/take-action/cleanup/>  to clean-up Lake
Overholser and the Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge. This is first of two
large clean-ups we will be having this month. Volunteers will meet at
8:30am at the Overholser Pavilion which is located around NW 14th and
East Overholser Drive in Oklahoma City (35o 29’ 00” N; 97o 39’ 51.3” W).
Every volunteer will need to complete the attached volunteer form. For
volunteers under the age of 18, consent is needed from either a parent
or legal guardian.

Volunteers should wear sturdy shoes, a hat, sturdy gloves, insect
repellant, and sunscreen. The clean-up will be held whether rain or
shine. After cleaning up assigned areas, volunteers will meet back at
the Overholser Pavilion at 12:30pm for a free lunch. There will be a
drawing for free prizes during lunch. Lunch is being provided by Earl’s
Rib Place (Fairgrounds) and Jersey Mike's at the Westgate Center. If
people want to participate in this fun event, either call or e-mail me
(info below) so that there will be enough food and supplies.

This clean-up has been made possible with financial support from
Chesapeake Energy and the DEQ Green Team.  OKC Kayaks
<http://www.okckayak.com/>  will be donating use of their kayaks for the
flotilla to clean the waterways in Overholser & Stinchcomb. To clean-up
via kayak, volunteers need to contact Rodney Boegel at 405-802-3678.
This clean-up also receives in-kind donations from the City of Bethany,
Pepsi Bottling Group, the City of Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma Department
of Environmental Quality, and Waste Management.

To continue with the success we have had with this clean-up, there are
staff positions I need help with.  If you can help, please let me know
what role you would like.  The various staff positions that I need help
with for the clean-up are:

One is Team Leader.  Because of the large area, the volunteers are
divided into several teams.  The number of volunteers in each team
depends on how many people show up and how much trash there is to clean
up.  The team leader is the one who shows the team where their clean-up
area is (I go over that ahead of time with the team leader with aerial
maps showing places to focus on), make sure the volunteers have enough
supplies (gloves, bags, water) and serve as the contact person in case
there is any emergency such as somebody getting injured/stung, etc.
They also make sure volunteers put all trash in black bags, recyclables
in white bags, and hazardous materials (aerosol cans, syringes, etc.) in
clear bags.  Then the team leader makes sure the bags are gathered in
one place for pick-up.  For supplies, the team leader is in contact with
a rover.

The Rover drives a pick-up truck that contains the supplies.  They cover
a particular geographical area.  For example, the rover may help out
three teams.  In addition to dropping off supplies when needed to the
teams, they put the bags of trash/recyclables in the truck and bring it
back to the Overholser Pavilion.  The trash goes into one pile, tires
into another, and recyclables into a third.  They also have things such
as a shovel and rope in case they are needed.  If you want to be a
Rover, let me know if you have your own pick-up truck.

There are also the Overholser Pavilion Staff who stays there the entire
time to sign in volunteers when they arrive, direct late-arriving
volunteers to areas of need (I let that person know where they are
needed), contact me if any media arrive, sort & weigh recyclables (i.e.
sorting into plastic, glass, aluminum and filling up clear bags with
sorted items then weighing full bags), and help prepare the lunch
(cutting toppings for the hamburgers, & picking up the donated lunch
items).  This is a good position for anybody who has trouble walking
around a lot or standing since it is mostly a sitting position.

I also need as many people as possible to help out with prize
solicitation any time between now and the clean-up.  One of the best
ways of getting people to volunteer for the clean-up and thanking them
for participating is the raffle we have at lunchtime.  Every clean-up
volunteer puts their name in a box and there is a drawing for all the
prizes that have been donated.

This is a very labor intensive event so many hands make light work!  It
involves going to various businesses, explain what the clean-up is, when
it is, and asking them if they can help support this event by donating
something for the raffle.  My goal is to try to have as many raffle
items as there are volunteers.  Even if you can’t help out with the
clean-up on April 6th or April 20th, you can help support the clean-up
by helping to get raffle items or donations!

April 6; 2:00pm - FOLO meeting to discuss business matters, by-laws,
etc.

April 20; 8:30am - Volunteers are also needed on Saturday April 20th
(same time and place as April 6th clean-up) to clean up any areas that
weren’t reached on April 6th. This clean-up will be part of ODOT’s
Trash-Off  <http://www.keepoklahomabeautiful.com/odot-trash-off> which
is the single largest one-day clean-up event in the State of Oklahoma.

Come join our group!

Karen K. Miles
Clean-Up Coordinator and Interim President
Friends of Lake Overholser/Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge
P.O. Box 1677
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-1677
(405) 702-8192
FriendsOfLakeOverholser at Cox.net

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Lake-OverholserStinchcomb-Wildlife-Refuge/105680642809050

"The care of rivers is not a question of rivers, but of the human
heart."
-- Tanaka Shozo