[Ok-sus] my exchange with Senator Inhofe

Eric Pollard ewpollard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 19:55:44 UTC 2013

As a co-moderator of the listserv it is my responsibility to monitor posts
and ensure they comply with Oklahoma Sustainability Network (OSN) Listserv
Guidelines.

Political discussions bring out passion and emotions for many of us, but I
want to ensure that posts are an extension of OSN's mission which is to
connect and educate the people of Oklahoma concerning the many aspects of
sustainability.

Thank you to everyone that is part of the discussion here! Happy posting.

Eric Pollard
Treasurer, OSN

*OSN Listserv Guidelines*

*Listserv purpose*

The purpose of the OSN listserv is thoughtful, engaging networking and
sharing of information. Discussion and posts should be relevant to listserv
purposes – an extension of OSN’s sustainable mission: The Oklahoma
Sustainability Network (OSN) serves to connect and educate the people of
Oklahoma concerning the many aspects of sustainability. OSN is a catalyst
and a resource for the improvement of Oklahoma's economy, ecology, and
equity.

●     The listserv is designed to encourage widespread interaction among a
statewide and regional community made up of users with varying levels of
expertise and knowledge.

●     Views expressed by those posting on the listserv and those replying
do not necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of the Oklahoma
Sustainability Network board or members.

*How to post*

Brand new subject:

●     Compose an email

●     In the “to” line enter the listserv email address,
ok-sus at lists.oksustainability.org
Click “send.”

If replying to a post:

●     Click on “reply,” write your response, click “send.”

●     If you are replying to and building on a previous email, please note
new direction of the discussion in the subject line.

*How to manage your subscription*

The OSN listserv is user-friendly and gives members control over their own
subscription options. To manage your subscription or unsubscribe, go  to
http://lists.oksustainability.org/mailman/listinfo/ok-sus.<http://lists.oksustainability.org/mailman/listinfo/ok-sus>

Quick posting tips

Be concise

●      In general, keep messages concise and to the point. Shorter posts
are more likely to be read.

.
Be mindful of quality and how often you post

●      Be mindful of what you post and consider how it contributes the
sustainability efforts.

●      Found a cache of good articles? Please post them over a period of
several days rather than all at once. Sending too many articles at once
overwhelms people with information and can discourage reading of valuable
information.

Value and relevance

●      Post an article, commentary or reply related to sustainability
subjects.

●      When responding, don't add personal notes such as “me too,” “thank
you,” etc. These types of responses should be sent off-list directly to the
original person who sent the original email.

●      Use the listserv to invite discussion rather than as a bully pulpit.
Such posts may be rejected.
  Use meaningful ‘subject’ lines

●      In starting a new discussion topic, use a meaningful 'Subject' line.
Many people decide whether they want to read a listserv message based on
the subject line.

●      If a discussion thread has gone on for a series of several replies
and responses, you may delete all but *the *most recent response and your
reply. Since all posts are archived if someone wants to read an entire
email thread, they can do so online at the OSN Web site.

●      If you need help, don't write “Help me,” in the subject line.
Instead indicate the specific type of problem for which you're seeking
assistance.

Listserv guidelines By subscribing to the OSN, you agree to the following
guidelines: When posting articles, respect copyright

●     Please respect copyright standards of a publication.

●     *Unless you have permission from the author and/or publication
posting a full copy or large swaths of a newspaper or magazine article is
not acceptable and is a violation of a publication’s and/or author’s
copyright.*

●     In general it is acceptable to post *brief* "fair use" excerpts of
such articles – usually a *few* highlights from the article -- along with a
link to the full article. For more info on "fair use" click
here<http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html>to read what the U.S.
Copyright Office has to say regarding Fair Use.

●     Always be sure to credit the author and publication in your post and
provide the URL (link to story) if available.

●     *Notify listserv members if the full article is not available online
due to subscription requirements or other issues.*

●     If you wish to post the full article and are unsure about the
copyright standards of a publication, please contact the publication
directly and obtain permission to reprint before you post.

●     If you obtain permission to reprint an article in full, then that
state this clearly when posting the article.

●     *Posts that do not follow these guidelines may be discarded without
notification.*

●     Consistent violations may result in cancellation of listserv
privileges.

●     Example of how to post:

*Take exchange of personal information off-list*

When exchanging information that is not germane to the entire group, such
as making arrangements to meet another member, reconnecting with a friend
or colleague, checking on status of projects you may be working on with
another listserv member, asking someone to send you an attachment in a
different format, or similar situations, please respond to the person
off-list rather than posting the info to the entire group.
  No commercials ●      Do not post commercial messages or ads. ●      If
someone poses a query or asks for services or information and you sell a
product you feel they might be interested in, please send your detailed
reply privately to the original sender rather than post it to the listserv.
●      Posting a brief mention of a product or service that is in direct
response to a legitimate request from another participant is acceptable;
just refer the person directly to the source for more information.   Be
civil

●     Civil, open, respectful discussion is encouraged.

●     Each participant is accountable for his or her own messages.

●     Please be thoughtful when commenting.

●     Remember intended tone of voice can easily be lost in written
communication; if you want something to be understood in a certain way
(humor,  sarcasm, etc), it may help to provide an obvious indicator of tone
to avoid misinterpretation.

●     Do not belittle others in your posts. It discourages and intimidates
members from participating, and diminishes the value of the listserv for
all.

●     No flames or personal attacks (flames are adversarial posts meant to
defame, hurt or rebuke in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory).
Such posts will be rejected.

●     Failure to grasp the sender's tone is a common cause of angry
replies, or "flames.”

●     You agree not to post abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, libelous,
defamatory, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material
that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being
immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being
informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing
these conditions.

●     Avoid rants -- writing in an angry or violent manner; to rave; to
utter or express with violence or extravagance; i.e. a dictator who ranted
his vitriol onto a captive audience.

●     Avoid bullying -- blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing, habitually
badgering and intimidating, arrogant and domineering, adversarial language.

Other guidelines

●     A firm no-SPAM policy is in effect -- and is strictly enforced by the
moderators. Violators will be banned.

●     You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this
forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic or post at
any time should they see fit.

●     As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being
stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any
third party without your consent, the webmaster, administrator and
moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead
to the data being compromised.

●     OSN cannot verify the content of postings for accuracy. Parties
submitting messages to the listserv bear sole responsibility and liability
for the content of their postings. However, if a message violates any of
the inappropriate submissions guidelines listed herein, then the offender’s
post may be returned for editing or discarded without notice. Consistent
violations may result in cancellation of listserv privileges.

Eric W. Pollard
C: (918) 804-2011
Twitter <https://twitter.com/#%21/ewpollard>
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/ewpollard>