[Ok-sus] Inhofe Premise No. 1

Kurt Atkinson Kurt.Atkinson at ag.ok.gov
Thu Mar 14 18:37:04 UTC 2013

The more we learn, the more it seems we don't know about the natural world. Although I enjoy the discussion of this group, it seems that we tend to focus too much on the negative. In partial response to the Inhofe Premise #1 about the role of people in causing climate change, I offer a small tidbit that might be of interest.

Scientists with the USDA Forest Service have been studying the high mortality rates of yellow-cedar trees in Alaska for many years. In 2012, they finally offered an explanation and did attribute the tree die-off to climate change, more specifically reduced snow pack. Tree mortality began to increase noticeably in the 1880s. In their study, they surmised that much of the native yellow-cedar found in Alaska was established during the Little Ice Age (a web search gives the dates of this event as 1300-1850) when there was a considerable cooling of the climate. These new growing conditions increased snowfall and allowed the species to propagate because predatory deer could not browse the seedlings and the heavy snowpack protected the roots from freezing.

When the Little Ice Age went away (for whatever reason), growing conditions in Alaska began to change and the species began to suffer higher mortality rates (more deer, more root freezing). The role that people played in bringing about the Little Ice Age in 1300 or its end around 1850 is beyond my conjecture. The USFS report of their study of yellow-cedar in Alaska can be accessed via the following link:

http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/40035

Kurt Atkinson
Assistant Director - Oklahoma Forestry Services
Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry
2800 North Lincoln Boulevard - Oklahoma City, OK  73105
Office 405.522.6147
Cell 405.487.0981
Fax 405.522.4583
www.forestry.ok.gov<http://www.forestry.ok.gov>