[Ok-sus] Tad Patzek, Petroleum expert: Our Current Oil Use is "Suicidal Within 1 Generation" - eye opening video

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Thu Mar 14 22:03:57 UTC 2013

Ted Patzek is Department Chair, Lois K. and Richard D. Folger Leadership Chair &
Professor , Cockrell Family Chair No. 11 in Engineering, Department of Petroleum
and Geosystems Engineering,  Cockrell School of Engineering, University of Texas
at Austin.

http://www.utexas.edu/opa/experts/profile.php?id=1411

When it comes to petroleum, that is about as real as it gets.

Click on the link to the online version of the article and watch the video, 9
minutes.
 Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net -- How to permaculture your urban lifestyle

http://www.zmescience.com/ecology/world-problems/peak-oil-13032013/
Petroleum expert: Our Current  Oil Use is “Suicidal Within 1 Generation”.
Published  on Wed, Mar 13, 2013 by Mihai AndreiEmail

You often hear discussions about how much oil there is still left in the
world’s underground. Listen to oil companies they’ll tell you there’s plenty to
go around, absolutely no need to worry; listen to fanatic environmentalists and
they’ll tell you that in two decades, we’re pretty much screwed. So why not
listen to someone not involved in either parties, someone who has some quality,
objective statements to make.
Tad Patzek is the chairman of the Department of Petroleum and  Geosystems
Engineering. In a broader context, Patzek works on the thermodynamics  and
ecology of human survival and energy supply schemes for humanity. So he’s  right
in the heart of things, in Texas, and pretty much dedicated his life to  the
subject.

First of all, he doesn’t deny climate change caused by petroleum  usage – he
says that the events put in motion will take 80.000-100.000 years to  set back
into normality, which is, “for us, an infinite time.”. I cannot  recommend
watching this video enough, it is a real eye opener.
“People need to realize that this is a finite resource, and using it in the
crazy, irresponsible ways we use it today is in fact suicidal – suicidal
within one generation,” Patzek says.
Communicating dark, complex scientific realities like this one to the public  is
harsh, and people like Patzek are doing their best – but if things continue  to
develop in this direction, quite simply put – there will be blood
(metaphorically, and very likely also literally).
The problem of the ending of petroleum reserves is bad enough on its own, but
when put into context with other collected problems which are simultaneously
arising (global warming, water crisis, overfishing, etc) – the prospects for
humanity are pretty gloom. We can either start rationalizing our consumption as
a society and start preparing alternatives, or we can wait until we will haven
no choice.
“Take your picks,” Patzek says.