[Ok-sus] inhofe's footnotes and debates

Harlan Hentges harlan at organiclawyers.com
Fri Mar 15 17:02:17 UTC 2013

Inhofe has footnotes and references to some data, but Inhofe does not write
many statements of fact. He mainly ridicules those who disagree with him and
describes how courageously he has stood up to those who ridicule him.

The Greatest Hoax is a sort of a victory lap for defeating carbon
cap-and-trade legislation. You will recall a time when even Newt Gingrich
thought it was OK to be active on climate change. Then Inhofe's climate
change denial took center stage and he became notorious leading up to the
decision on cap-and-trade. After the defeat of cap-and-trade, Inhofe was no
longer competing for center stage. While reading the book I got a sense that
he was basking in the glow of victory.  He presents congressional rejection
of cap-and-trade as vindication for himself and proof that burning fossil
fuels has not and will not have a significant impact on climate.

Inhofe's book and Inhofe himself do not present much substance for an honest
debate on climate change. He does, however, present an opportunity to study
and debate the degree to which an industry can use a United States Senator
to misinform, mislead and manipulate his constituents for the purpose of
impacting public policy.

The book describes several of Inhofe's unfounded opinions and it seem these
opinions are widely held by Oklahoma politicians, celebrities, civic leaders
and citizens. It is my impression that these opinions are not as prevalent
elsewhere. It would be interesting to determine if those opinion are, in
fact, more prevalent in Oklahoma. It may be possible to assess whether or
not the difference can be attributed to the impact of Inhofe on his
constituents.

              I think such a study would be useful for the citizens of
Oklahoma. Oklahomans adhere to the old adage, "Those who row the boat don't
have time to rock it." We have a tendency to keep our heads down and do what
we are told. Much of the time the people telling Oklahomans what to do - and
think - are in the oil and gas industry (e.g. Kerr, McGee, Nichols,
McClendon, Hamm, Bartlett, etc.). If Oklahomans were to find out that what
we were being told is not the truth, and what we are being told to do is not
good for us, we might lift up our heads and stop doing what we are told.

HH

P.S.        I bet one of the first people say "those who row the boat don't
have time to rock it" had a whip in his hand and was talking to a galley
slave.

Harlan Hentges

(405) 340-6554  Office

(405) 808-7669  Mobile