[Ok-sus] Inhofe Premises NO. 2

Joel Olson joel.olson at cox.net
Fri Mar 15 17:41:18 UTC 2013

Well, John, in answer to
"What could be more sustainable than that.":

We could recognize that the argument is over, and stop falling for the
"Let's argue the case again" gambit promulgated repeatedly by the
minions of the Heartland Foundation, the Koch Brothers and the big
fossil fuel corporations. It's exactly like the moron who lost $20 betting
on the play, and another $20 on the replay.

And get on with doing something about the problems. It is very clear
that we need to stop using fossil fuels, for electricity and for transportation.

The battle over limiting carbon will continue and it looks a lot like the
trench warfare of WWI - little movement on either side. And its likely to
stay that way for the next four years, while the natural calamities continue.
Floods and hurricanes along the coasts, heat waves in the midwest, water
shortages in the southwest. The cap & trade, or fee & dividend arguments
will all be quickly turned into squabbles as to who gets the tax money, and
the measures will be stalled.

Cutting back on CO2 will be costly, and much of that cost will trickle down
to everyday people. A sudden stop would be more dramatic that the recent'
'fiscal cliff'. But gradual reduction, combined with replacement with renewable
energy will soften the drop. And renewables are, by definition, sustainable.

The way that other states have made progress in renewable energy is by
enacting a mandatory Renewable Portfolio Standard. These require the major
utility companies to obtain a percentage of the state's energy use from
renewable sources by a certain date. It puts pressure on them to eliminate
their coal plants, and to encourage the development of renewable industry,
jobs, factories and investors in-state. It is a proven way to develop renewables
quickly, and expand the state's economy at the same time.

People will never go for a straight elimination of fossil energy. We HAVE to
replace that with energy from clean sources.

Joel Olson
meteorologist, NWS, retired
Moore, OK