[Ok-sus] inhofe's footnotes and debates

kelley C Smith smithkc at riskiii.com
Sat Mar 16 14:09:21 UTC 2013

Have not read the Daily Oklahoman in years, but "ridicule those who disagree" used to be one of their favorite editorial page tactics -- frequent references to the "beads and sandals crowd," "peaceniks," etc.

And yes, I remember the Gingrich-Pelosi commercial. I even remember when cap-an-trade was a RIGHT WING solution to climate change. I'm old.

And about "keeping our heads down and doing what we're told" -- I have long felt that Oklahomans have a distorted sense of work ethic. Have written about this before…. I feel Oklahomans:

1> Value tradition and therefore resist change.. (my grandaddy didn't worry about cap-and-trade)
2> Are proud of "hard work" to the point of an exaggerated pride in making extreme sacrifices for a job and / or on the job
3> Are accustomed to a boom and bust economy; the tendency to "make hay while the sun shines" reflects a fear that there soon may be no hay-making opportunity
4> Have an outsized view of personal responsibility and individualism.

Perhaps I should include "respect for authority" but I am going to argue that fits under No. 1. For many Oklahomans, these four factors (and perhaps more) are intertwined with religion, like it or not. This gives us a crowd of obsequious lackeys who still see themselves as rugged individualists….. workers who will destroy themselves working an oil rig and view filing a workman's' comp claim as a "sissy" thing to do, etc. (And yes, since we have a concentration of dangerous industries here, our workman's' comp costs are still very high…)

I don't know if there is a way to present possible climate change solutions in ways that appeal to this sort of mind-set. If we look at efforts to minimize fossil-fuel  consumption, that REALLY could make new opportunities for employment. Some tasks would need to be done by people rather than machines. If pollution and the theories of negative externalities were presented under a "your freedom ends where my nose begins" sort of framing….

These are just my observations as a life-long Oklahoman who's never had a big travel budget. I think many of these traits are shared with the South, and the West. I do feel the Great Depression left an indelible mark on the Oklahoma point of view.

Anyway, I've rattled on for long enough.

Kelley