[Ok-sus] Inhofe Premises NO. 2

Vicke Adams vicke at vickeadams.com
Sun Mar 17 02:01:57 UTC 2013

Joel,
My point was that there is a huge need to educate the general public. If you Follow the polls historically, belief in global warming declined significantly starting around 2008 to around 51% to 58% in 2009 depending on what poll you look at. It has started to increase and I did not realized that the numbers had rebounded as much as they did after hurricane Sandy. However, the newer poll numbers show that while about 2/3 to 3/4 of people believe there is global warming, only about 40% believe it is anthropogenic; this from a recent University of Michigan poll. In fact, last month's Science News published an article about three recent studies that show people's belief in global warming fluctuates with the weather. Apparently, there are a lot of people that don't know the difference between climate and weather. That is why education on the subject is so badly needed. People's beliefs are changing with the wind (or, rather, the thermometer). Also, do you know that a person's political party is the best indicator of their belief on global warming? Only about 50% of Republicans versus over 80% of Democrats believe in global warming. What explains this? Environmental concerns didn't use to divide by political party to this extreme.

The sierra poll you cited, while not mentioning global warming, is very promising. I am glad there are so many people that do see some benefit to alternative energy sources.

Vicke