[Ok-sus] FW: NOBULL: From Berkeley to Boston: Coming Together Around Freedom, Fairness and Food

Harlan Hentges harlan at organiclawyers.com
Mon Mar 18 14:22:25 UTC 2013

>From Berkeley to Boston: Coming Together Around Freedom, Fairness and Food
<http://www.competitivemarkets.com/from-berkeley-to-boston/>

http://www.competitivemarkets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/author_mcallicr
ate.jpgSubmitted by:Mike
<http://www.competitivemarkets.com/author/mcallicrate/>  Callicrate

 <http://www.competitivemarkets.com/author/mcallicrate/> Written on:March
16, 2013

 <http://www.competitivemarkets.com/2013/03/16/> By Mike Callicrate & Fred
Stokes

 <http://www.competitivemarkets.com/2013/03/16/> Eating is one thing we all
have in common. And, to millions of us, what we eat, how it's produced, and
where if comes from is important.

 <http://www.competitivemarkets.com/2013/03/16/>
http://www.competitivemarkets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/thecowboy.png

 <http://www.competitivemarkets.com/great-ranches-of-the-west/> OCM has
worked for the last fourteen years to restore competition in the
agricultural marketplace. We believe family farmers and ranchers make the
best stewards of our land and livestock, and are the most reliable and
trustworthy sources of high quality, healthy and safe food. OCM's
fundamental unifying belief is that fair, open and competitive markets are
critical to our nation's food supply. A growing number of people believe
that family farmers and ranchers will soon be a thing of the past unless
something is done quickly about the abusive power of big food companies.

<http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/tools-and-resources/the-economic-cost-of-f
ood-monopolies/> Since inception, OCM has believed litigation to be the most
direct and effective way to correct the injustices of an unfair marketplace.
Unfortunately, so far, the higher courts have taken the side of the big
packers when juries have found market unfairness. Legislative solutions have
failed, either at the point of law-making or later in rule-making when the
big packers and their lobbyists help write the rules, reversing the intent
of lawmakers.

<http://nobull.mikecallicrate.com/2009/06/22/a-failure-of-justice-delivered-
to-cattleman%E2%80%99s-front-door/> Last year during our annual conference
we announced the filing of a lawsuit against USDA in response to their
failure to act following a 2010 performance review, which found the National
Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) had knowingly misappropriated (stolen)
funds from the beef checkoff. Cattlemen's fears were confirmed - NCBA was in
fact using cattlemen's money intended for promotion and research, against
them, in advocating for big meat packer and retailer control of the cattle
industry. (MORE)