[Ok-sus] Related to recent Inhofe discussion: Fw: Winston Blog: The Fallacy of the China Defense

Julie Gahn juliegahn at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 13:10:28 UTC 2013

Hope these facts & figures help.
Julie

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Andrew Winston <andrew at eco-strategies.com>
To: juliegahn at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Wed, March 20, 2013 7:16:58 AM
Subject: Winston Blog: The Fallacy of the China Defense

Andrew Winston
Winston Blog: The Fallacy of the China Defense

________________________________

The Fallacy of the China Defense
[Note: I'm taking a small blog hiatus for a couple months to work on my next
book. More on that later.]
For anyone who doesn't want to reduce carbon emissions, China seems like a great
scapegoat. The defenders of the status quo argue that U.S. companies will be at
a disadvantage if we tax carbon or invest in clean energy because "China's not
doing anything."

(Beijing pollution)
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio recently offered up a perfect example of this idea:
"There are other countries that are polluting in the atmosphere much greater
than we are — China, India, all these countries that are still growing. They're
not going to stop doing what they're doing." And New York Times op-ed writer Joe
Nocera used the China Defense last week in his latest pro-fossil-fuels piece:
"the Chinese are far more concerned with economic growth than climate change."
But there are three little problems with this logic:
1) It's not true.
China recently demolished this fallacy when leaders announced they would
implement a carbon tax. And when the new Premier spoke on Sunday, he belied
Nocera's assertion with a speech that, in the Times words, "laid out a vision of
a more equitable society in which environmental protection trumps unbridled
growth."  These policy shifts are a very big deal for all 7 billion of us
sharing the climate. And it's just the latest in a series of Chinese
commitments, which include the following:
	* July 2010: 5 trillion yuan, or $800 billion, alternative energy plan over 10
years (this is like the part of the U.S. stimulus plan that funded clean tech,
but times 10).
	* August 2012: $372 billion to cut pollution and energy use.
	* August 2012: 40% increase in solar target (21 gigawatts by 2015).
	* January 2013: Wind power is now the number 3 source of energy in China
(passing nuclear).
Is China still growing and emitting more carbon? Of course. Is it planning to
build another 363 coal plants? Yes. So the world is not black and white. But
even with lots of coal and oil investment, there's no way you can say China is
doing nothing on clean tech.
2) Science doesn't care.
The math and physics of climate change are getting clearer by the day. As those
tree-huggers atMcKinsey and PwC UK have calculated, we need to decarbonize at a
rapid rate — about 5 percent less carbon per dollar of GDP every year until
2050. This has to happen no matter who goes "first," and is basically the
argument put forth by Grist writer David Roberts recently. We have to try, no
matter what anyone else is doing. And, by the way, the impacts of doing nothing
will keep growing — Hurricane Sandy and the ongoing drought in the Midwest are
just the beginning. The costs of inaction are rising, which brings me to...
3) We should want to go clean anyway.
One of Sen. Rubio's other comments, the most common specious argument against
acting on climate change, was that restricting carbon would "devastate" the
economy. This is, to borrow a phrase, malarkey.
Even putting aside the literally trillions available through energy efficiency,
there's a vast upside from creating new industries. According to the bank HSBC,
the clean economy will be a multi-trillion dollar market soon. After all, we're
reinventing the world's largest industries: energy, transportation, and
buildings. Most other major economies get this and are investing heavily in the
clean economy. But no country has gone as fast as China, which has grown its
share of solar manufacturing to 50% in avery short time (with nearly as
impressive a performance in wind).
I could keep going with counterarguments — like shouldn't we lead because we're,
well, leaders? But even if science doesn't care and the whole "China isn't doing
it" argument is a lie, I'm partial to number 3: We make money doing it and it's
good for us. That's enough for me.
(The majority of this post first appeared at Harvard Business Online.)
(Sign up for Andrew Winston's blog, via RSS feed, or by email. Follow Andrew on
Twitter @AndrewWinston)

You are subscribed to email updates from Andrew Winston
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery powered
by Google