[Ok-sus] I met a man tonight riding in a motorized wheelchair on NW Expressway

Kelley C Smith smithkc at riskiii.com
Thu Apr 3 19:35:27 UTC 2014

Almost three years ago, I was concerned about lack of signals and lack of enforcement of traffic laws in my neighborhood (cars turning without signaling while pedestrians cross street, etc.) and I called the police department about the enforcement question (non-emergency number). I had an interesting conversation with the person (not sure whether or not she was an officer or just an employee) who answered.

During the course of the conversation, I said something like, "I realize that if I walk in Oklahoma City, I am implicitly choosing to accept more risk…" and the lady on the phone stopped me. She said, "You are not taking on more risk just because you choose to walk…after all, someone's car could be damaged." At this point, I was really astounded. I wondered if my moral sensibilities were so hopelessly out of whack that I failed to see that a broken bone, massive head injury, or premature death is morally equivalent to a dented bumper. I can only hope that the majority of police officers and department employees have more wisdom than the person I talked with….

And, Bob, WELL SAID!

Kelley Smith