[Ok-sus] [OKC] I met a man tonight riding in a motorized wheelchair on NW Expressway

Rena Guay peacearena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 02:54:52 UTC 2014

I concur with Mr. Waldrop's comments, but it's not just NW Expressway. I
have observed a motorized wheelchair trying to navigate 59th Street S near
Walker, and an elderly man on a frail looking bike loaded with full grocery
bags traveling on 13th St N near the 235 overpass (don't get me started on
food deserts). Those are just the ones that particularly stood out to me.
It would not take anyone long to run across other examples on any given
day, because that's just how OKC is for the people who don't "matter" when
those who do have their eyes focused on the top floors of Devon tower and
what that represents.

This is the sad and hopeless way of life for many in OKC. Simply and
clearly, this city does not care about anyone who is not wealthy and/or
well-connected. When resources to change things are available, but rejected
because the people who would benefit are dispensable -- or worse, their
presence is not desirable -- we all lose a bit of our humanity.

I live in Ward 2.

Rena Guay