[Ok-sus] New clean energy tariff

Kelley C Smith smithkc at riskiii.com
Mon Apr 28 21:27:22 UTC 2014

I'm not sure I understand the bill, and I don't want to be an apologist for the fossil fuel industry… but, I think I should say something or at least ask a question…

When I looked, I thought the bill was imposing a sort of tax on those who had solar panels, etc. and who wanted to connect to the grid to sell power and to, when necessary, buy power. That is, if there is cloud cover for a few days, and a family's battery back-up is running low, they would want OG&E or PSO or someone to supply them some power for a while. Also, some people want to sell surplus power.

Asking a utility to be your back-up of last resort is asking quite a lot. How do they plan for this? Why should they build, and maintain generation, transmission, and distribution facilities to sell power on such an unpredictable basis? That's the question society must answer.

Maybe I misunderstood, and I am not saying that OGE or PSO should get whatever they want (if indeed that's what this bill does), but we have to think about what it means to change from fossil fuel generation and how we deal with days when the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine.

Perhaps a more equitable, and maybe more economical solution would be very small-scale portable gasoline or diesel generators. Or, perhaps we should look into every possible milliwatt of energy we can save and just not ask for back-up from the grid. It is a difficult question.

Kelley