[Ok-sus] best natural home building methods/materials for Oklahoma?

Julie Gahn juliegahn at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 00:00:01 UTC 2014

What did you use to seal the cedar?

Thanks,
Julie Gahn

________________________________
 From: "Boeck, David L." <dlb at ou.edu>
To: "ok-sus at lists.oksustainability.org" <ok-sus at lists.oksustainability.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Ok-sus] best natural home building methods/materials for Oklahoma?

I have designed and participated in the building of a straw bale house in Norman that is about as natural as it gets.  The structure is post and beam and the posts are Oklahoma grown cedar that have been stripped of branches and bark and sealed.  They are beautiful.  It did use laminated beams and wood trusses with a metal roof.   It has a mud floor that has been sealed and it is quite energy efficient with lots of natural light.  If you want to see it call me and you can go look at it.  It’s in Norman and I live in Norman.   405-919-8242

' We are again finding the liberty to create, and this implies a new place for architect as artist and for architecture as art.'    Santiago Calatrava

'While working on a building or an object, the architect is simultaneously engaged in the reverse perspective of his/her self-image in relation to the world and his/her existential knowledge.'  Juhani  Pallasmaa

Buildings are not abstract, meaningless constructions, or aesthetic compositions, they are extensions and shelters of our bodies, memories, identities, and minds.  Consequently, architecture arises from existentially true confrontations,experiences, recollections, and aspirations.' Juhani Pallasmaa

David L. Boeck, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP
Associate Professor of Architecture
College of Architecture
University of Oklahoma