[Ok-sus] New clean energy tariff

John Miggins johnmiggins at comcast.net
Thu May 1 01:16:19 UTC 2014

the bill goes to the corporation commission now so I think there are a couple of months, I don't know really.

Just to clear up some things on the discussion. Most of the solar installations do not have batteries, they do not provide 100 percent of the power for your home but when the sun is out they help offset power that you would buy, and this is at near peak time so it is good for the utilities as well to shave their peak demand. you still get a bill it is just not as much, the utilities really dont pay you for the energy it just keeps you from buying more so it is kind of a savings. Net metering means that if at anytime you are making more than you use and it goes back through your meter to your neighbors energy then they the utility will give you credit at full retail for this energy. in reality this does not happen much, unless you have a larger system, most of the energy you produce you use.

why are most utilities installing solar systems themselves if it did not benefit them? when the grid goes down, so does the solar and this feature is built into the inverter that the customer installs, nothing to do with the utility, it does not cost them a cent to be safe, they have specifications that the inverter must meet and for added safety we put in a lockable visible gap disconnect.

I like to compare this to someone driving on our roads and paying the taxes for gas. if you have a gas guzzler you pay more for gas and more tax. if you have a prius or other energy efficient car, should you pay more per gallon because you are using less? people would laugh at such a thing, but this is exactly what this bad bill does, punish the people who are investing in clean energy, the very people who are helping solve the problem are being punished.

who stands to gain? the coal and natural gas industry, and the utilities.

John Miggins
jmiggins at cox.net
Harvest Solar Energy
www.harvestsolar.net