[Ok-sus] New clean energy tariff

Joel Olson joel.olson at att.net
Thu May 1 06:15:27 UTC 2014

For those who may be a little fuzzy on net metering, here is
the way it works, afaik.

Net metering laws require the large utility companies to allow a
homeowner to connect to the grid, subject to some technical
standards, such as a cut-off switch and that clean 60 cycle AC
be generated. These are called grid-tie systems.

The connection to the grid is within the home wiring, "below"
the meter. When the solar array (or wind turbine) is generating
electricity, that power gets used instead of external power. So
the homeowner's 'payment' for that power will come in the form
of a lower utility bill. Lowered by the charge they would have
incurred had they needed that amount of electricity. Note that
there is no transmission or use of the utility lines here; the
utility thus avoids the transmission losses they'd have absorbed,
had that power been drawn by the homeowner.

The more real situation expands on this by considering the rate
at which the homeowner generates electricity - peaking in the
afternoon for solar, late at night for wind. That rate varies only
with the weather - wind speed, cloudiness change often - and
the homeowner has little control of it.

What the homeowner can control, however is their USE of power.
They can put off using the electric oven till late at night, and
manage their usage in other similar ways.

So now we need to compare these two rates. When the homeowner
is using less energy than they are generating, the "excess" goes
through the meter, turning the dials backward, and onto the grid.
When the home is using more current that it is generating, the
additional amount needed is drawn through the meter, into the
house wiring, and the dials record the amount for the next month's
bill.

Considering this now over a 24-hour period, if more was used by
the home than was generated, there will be a net addition to the
bill. If more was generated, i.e. if there was a "net excess" for that
day, there will be a reduction to the bill. Only when there is such a
net excess at the end of the monthly billing cycle, is there "excess
generation" to be resolved. (I.e. the utility company would owe the
homeowner money.) OG&E and PSO each handle this situation in
their own way. PSO simply absorbs the excess generation and does
not pay the homeowner; the bill starts again on the next month's
cycle. OG&E, however, carries these over to the next month, and
if there is still excess generation at the end of the year, they pay
the homeowner for it, at what they calculate to be their "cost avoided."

Yes, the potential is there for a homeowner to make a big investment
and get a check from the utility company every month. But this is
not really feasible, as the OCC rules on net metering place severe
limits on the size of an array that the homeowner can install and
still be able to tie into the grid.

The interested reader may want to cross-check this account with
http://www.seia.org/policy/distributed-solar/net-metering