[Ok-sus] New clean energy tariff

Eric Pollard ewpollard at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:34:22 UTC 2014

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/blog/post/2014/04/how-solar-is-cutting-grid-costs?cmpid=SolarNL-Thursday-May1-2014

How Solar Is Cutting Grid Costs

John Farrell  <http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/u/john-farrell-ilsr>

With solar power, “we can avoid that $100 million investment in
transmission lines, distribution lines, in capital infrastructure…”

That was Vice President of Environmental Affairs Michael Deering of the
Long Island Power Authority in a remarkable podcast interview, explaining
how local solar energy can help offset expensive grid upgrades for bringing
in remote power generation, as much as $100 million worth.

Listen in to the podcast (recorded via Skype on 11/25/13) for the full
story, or read the summary below for more on why one of the country's
biggest municipal utilities is looking to solar to meet their growing
energy demand.

*Podcast (Local Energy Rules): Play in new window
<http://www.ilsr.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Local-Energy-Rules-Michael-Deering-LIPA-ep13-2013-1219.mp3>
| Download
<http://www.ilsr.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Local-Energy-Rules-Michael-Deering-LIPA-ep13-2013-1219.mp3>
| Embed
<http://www.ilsr.org/solar-saves-grid-costs-episode-13-local-energy-rules/>*

*Energy to Power the Economy*

A key focus for the Long Island utility was the economic and environmental
benefits of solar, not just the power generation. Solar power did have
significant grid benefits and it reduced costly pollution, but Deering
emphasized how solar built on Long Island means jobs and economic
development on Long Island.

*Energy for Peak Needs*

The Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) isn’t new to customer-owned solar.
They launched their first solar rebate program in 2001, and now have solar
on over 7,300 homes and businesses on Long Island.  They’ve added another
50 megawatts (MW) with a few utility-scale projects, and then launched a
feed-in tariff program encouraging commercial-scale solar (50 to 500
kilowatts) in 2012.  In total, the utility will have 170 MW of solar
installed by the end of 2014, sufficient to meet about 3% of its peak
demand.

*Local Energy with High Value*

LIPA isn’t a typical municipal utility.  It’s literally at the “end of the
line” of the power grid and its limited capacity to import power puts a
premium on locally generated energy.  The new iteration of the utility's
feed-in tariff program, launched in 2013, asks for 40 percent of the power
to be developed on the south fork of Long Island (Montauk).  If it works as
planned, the utility will pay an additional 7¢ per kilowatt-hour for energy
from those solar projects, using that prime-time energy to defer big
investments in new transmission power lines and power plants.

*What’s Next for Long Island power?*

LIPA has plans to procure more large-scale renewable energy through a
280-MW request for proposal in 2014 as well as a third, 20-MW iteration of
its popular feed-in tariff program — this time focused on
non-solar renewable energy technologies.

*You can learn more about feed-in tariff programs from ILSR's 2012 report
<http://www.ilsr.org/u-s-clean-programs-now-learned/> or about the way
utilities are valuing solar power from ILSR's recently released report
on Minnesota's Value of Solar policy
<http://www.ilsr.org/minnesotas-value-of-solar/> or blogseries on
Minnesota’s value of solar law
<http://www.ilsr.org/rec-final-comments-minnesotas-proposed-solar/>.*