[Ok-sus] Libertarian Riff on Clean Energy Tariff

Kelley C Smith smithkc at riskiii.com
Sat May 3 00:42:26 UTC 2014

Investor-owned utilities  (IOUs) may be an anachronism…but it would take some really careful long-term planning to replace them, and guess what our government / society does not do well.

There were some attempts in the late 90s / early 2000s to turn energy markets into something that some people saw as more "free." Remember Enron? I am not arguing that IOUs should be kept in their existing market position forever.  But, there could be quite a few losers depending on how an "alternative" energy market was set up.

To end the monopoly means waiting until the next franchise election in your city.  Perhaps special elections could be called; I don't know. If a majority vote to end the franchise, then someone needs a plan on how electric service is to be made available. Will a municipality buy out the substations, poles, transformers, and wires from the Ex-Utility? Will the municipality also buy a share of a generation unit or two? Or shop on the spot market for electricity? Will your city seek out another IOU or coop to buy out the system and run it? Will citizens simply be told "buy your own wind generator or set of solar panels"?

Before advocating a NO vote, a large group needs to have a plan.

And, as Judith points out, the option of completely going off-grid is available to those who can afford it. Finding an energy provider of last resort at an "affordable" price is going to be difficult.

Kelley