[Ok-sus] Retrofitting homes for energy efficiency

Kelley C Smith smithkc at riskiii.com
Fri May 23 20:45:31 UTC 2014

I have made some insulated window shades that I'm fairly happy with…. used thrift store sleeping bags, cut them to about the right size and covered with decent-looking calico. I have only made three, for my northernmost windows. I just leave them thumb-tacked up all winter. Would not work everywhere, but, not very expensive. But, I like to sew. Even so, I've never managed to make covers for all windows, though I think the three I chose take the brunt of cold winter wind.

I have tried to think of something for doors, especially on winter nights. Just can't quite think of something that seems practical for doors. I have thought of putting a "zipper window" in the window shades so that I could look out.

I do think the question of retrofits is a difficult one…