[Ok-sus] Local pastured heritage breed turkeys available

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Tue Nov 11 04:13:20 UTC 2014

The Oklahoma Food Coop is quite well stocked with turkeys this year.
Even though a LOT have been sold, there are more than 100 turkeys,
ranging in size from 6 to 16 pounds, still available.  Our turkeys are
from Walters Hatchery in eastern Oklahoma and are heritage breeds that
were raised in free ranging conditions.  They are not injected with
water and sugar.

We like to brine our turkeys. For a 16 pound turkey, I make brine with 2
gallons vegetable stock (sauteed onions, carrots, celery, garlic
simmered for about an hour), plus a cup of salt and 2 tablespoons of
black peppercorns. I add the salt and peppercorns at the end of the
simmering, stir until dissolved. Then remove from heat and refrigerate,
because when you start the brining process you want the brine ice cold.
The nice before the roasting begins, put the turkey and brine in a 5
gallon bucket and either refrigerate or add ice and put in a cool space.
Keep it cold! Make sure the turkey is fully immersed, if it wants to
float, weight it down.

Before roasting, we stuff the bird with onion, celery, carrot, and
sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and sage from my garden.

Non-members are welcome to shop the Coop these days.  Find us online at
http://www.oklahomafood.coop.

One of the most important things that everyone can do to help grow a
more sustainable Oklahoma is to buy some food directly from our Oklahoma
farmers.  If we want a more sustainable, just, and humane system of
agriculture, then there must be a market for the products of
sustainable, just, and the humanely managed flocks and herds of our
farmers.  No amount of wishing or legislation will accomplish that goal
and if we wait on the government, we will wait in vain. We vote with our
dollars every time we spend money.  How we vote with our money is as
important as how we vote with our electoral votes.  So don't spend yours
in vain!  Shop local for this holiday season!

Bob Waldrop
http://www.oklahomafood.coop

--
http://www.ipermie.net How to permaculture your urban lifestyle and adapt to the realities of peak oil, economic irrationality, political criminality, and peak oil.