[Ok-sus] A sci fi look back in the form of "history of our collapse".

Bob Waldrop bob at bobwaldrop.net
Tue Oct 28 14:32:04 UTC 2014

    A Chronicler of Warnings Denied

  Naomi Oreskes Imagines the Future History of Climate Change

Naomi Oreskes is a historian of science at Harvard, but she is
attracting wide notice these days for a work of science fiction.

"The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View From the Future," written
with Erik M. Conway, takes the point of view of a historian in 2393
explaining how "the Great Collapse of 2093" occurred.

"Without spoiling the story," she told me, "I can tell you that a lot of
what happens --- floods, droughts, mass migrations, the end of humanity
in Africa and Australia --- is the result of inaction to very clear
warnings" aboutclimate change
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/globalwarming/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>caused
by humans. The104-page book
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/science/three-divergent-visions-of-our-future-under-climate-change.html>was
listed last week as the No. 1 environmental best-seller on Amazon. Dr.
Oreskes, 55, spoke with me for two hours at her home in Concord, Mass.,
and later again by telephone. Here is an edited and condensed version of
the conversations.  (Much more that is worth reading at the link).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/science/naomi-oreskes-imagines-the-future-history-of-climate-change.html

Bob Waldrop, Okie City

--
http://www.ipermie.net How to permaculture your urban lifestyle and adapt to the realities of peak oil, economic irrationality, political criminality, and peak oil.