[Ok-sus] Fwd: Tell Corp Commisision NO to OG&# rate increase, letter to Ed provides talking points

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Mon Jun 6 03:05:48 UTC 2016

Take action now!  OGE is trying to make it virtually impossible for
people to manage their electric bills by managing their usage, due to
the proposed addition of a "demand charge" which will be based on the 15
minute segment of "highest demand" during the month.  How any individual
person could figure that out is beyond my understanding, and that's
likely the purpose.

Another issue I see is the doubling of the basic charge which everyone
pays before kilowatt hour charges are added.  What this means is that
OGE is shifting costs away from the kilowatt hour charge and loading
them onto the basic charge.  That effectively means that lower usage
customers are subsidizing the higher usage customers.  The fair way to
deal with basic costs is to amortize them over all the units sold by the
company.  That's what a normal company does.  but OGE is not a normal
company, it is a coercively maintained monopoly.  So they are free to
politicize their rate systems by giving favorite treatment to the large
customers and penalizing the low usage customers.

OGE claims that since they are lowering their fuel charges, the net
effect of this will only be about seven dollars customer. Leaving aside
the detail that seven dollars in some households is a gallon of milk and
two or three loaves of bread, anyone who is betting on perpetually low
natural gas prices will live to rue that day.  People should not be
deceived into thinking that the present low price of natural gas and oil
will be true perpetually into the future.  High natural gas prices will
return, and then that "seven dollar net increase" may become a 14, or
21, or 28, or 35 or even more dollar increase.

What OKC really needs to do is to kick out OGE and go for municipal
power.  If OGE continues to abuse its rate payers, more people will
become interested in this option.

Bob Waldrop, okie City