[Snap Framework] Disabling timeout

tsuraan tsuraan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 11:37:46 CST 2011

> It looks like Snap has a 30-second timeout for its handlers to send a
> reply.  Is there any way of disabling that?  I've put together a Comet
> server that currently uses Mongrel2 for its HTTP communications, and
> I'm trying to put together a Snap version for an alternative, but a
> 30-second timeout isn't too useful for a Comet server :)  I looked in
> the Snap.Http.Server.Config docs and didn't see anything there.  Did I
> miss something, or are infinite timeouts just not something Snap has
> been used for yet?

Digging into the source, it is hard coded (30s for the Haskell server,
20s for the libev one).  Is there some performance reason or internal
bug behind these timeouts, or is it just an easy way to control memory
use/socket use?  If possible, it would be really nice to be able to
control and/or disable these timeouts, since Snap seems otherwise
really well suited for long-polling applications.