[vcl_admin] New paintjob feedback needed asap!

Mark Eijsermans mark_eijsermans at warpmail.net
Mon Dec 6 19:48:00 CST 2010


I vote to paint it pure white, or light grey.

couple of thoughts on why:
we'll get bored of the aesthetic fast.
it looks dirty and unkept.
by looking grimmy, it's harder to take us seriously.
the landlord will appreciate a more cleaner look (important with our current month to month standing)
it's kinda "first person shooter" video game, and hence a bit gender slanted.
long term it'll start affecting our mood


We all have our own vision of what the co-lab will be. Personally, I would like to see a clean, professional, safe space with awesome tools, and great people inspiring me with their work. I don't really see the current paint job fitting with that.

Here's some other workshops/fablabs to get an idea:

potland techshop:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/04/portland_makers_invited_to_techshop.html

Amsterdam fablab:
http://roryhyde.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/blog_fablab.jpg

Barcelona fablab:
http://fablabbcn.org/galeria/





On 2010-12-06, at 4:49 PM, Christian Lev wrote:

> Not that i can vote yet, but my thoughts are...
> while it looks cool... i mirror Sam and think that in the long term it would be better if we took advantage of the free light/single colour paint job their offering (the "paint back" option =)
> 
> C
> 
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:11 PM, <vcl_admin-request at vancommunitylab.com> wrote:
> Send vcl_admin mailing list submissions to
>        vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        vcl_admin-request at vancommunitylab.com
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        vcl_admin-owner at vancommunitylab.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of vcl_admin digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. New paintjob feedback needed asap! (Wade Bortz)
>   2. Re: New paintjob feedback needed asap! (Wade Bortz)
>   3. Re: New paintjob feedback needed asap! (Ninety Nein)
>   4. Re: New paintjob feedback needed asap! (Jason Woodall)
>   5. Re: New paintjob feedback needed asap! (Sam Alder)
>   6. Re: New paintjob feedback needed asap! (Wade Bortz)
>   7. Re: New paintjob feedback needed asap! (Adrian Mandy)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:12:20 -0800
> From: Wade Bortz <wbortz at gmail.com>
> Subject: [vcl_admin] New paintjob feedback needed asap!
> To: "VCL Discussion List." <vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTi=aq-HW5cRONUmv2KWH3igESVnp_GsPnrWqXvBQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> Hey guys, here's the photos of the new paintjob - uploading these via
> cellphone, so there aren't too many yet.
> 
> http://gallery.me.com/wbortz/100131
> 
> The location manager want's to know asap if we want it repainted, as
> they have to plan their stuff.  Personally, I think the new paint job
> is great - fits right in with the feel of the place.  It's not too
> dark, but it does look pretty dingy; fake rust drips and all.  I
> figure it'll be great for parties, and just general coolness, as we
> can tell folks about the tv shoot and the battle tank.  I'll be
> sending the link on to the landlord as well.
> 
> Either way, let me know what you think in the next few hours so I can
> get the word back to the location manager.  He just offered us an
> extra $1000 for an extra day in the space too; I went for it.  :)
> 
> Wade
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:19:54 -0800
> From: Wade Bortz <wbortz at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [vcl_admin] New paintjob feedback needed asap!
> To: "VCL Discussion List." <vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTi=rZj4_X5oNsAC6ODp14m87gD2=mW9bf_gmTOzt at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> Ack, bad link, sorry, correct link is:
> 
> http://gallery.me.com/wbortz/100139
> 
> Wade
> 
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Wade Bortz <wbortz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey guys, here's the photos of the new paintjob - uploading these via
> > cellphone, so there aren't too many yet.
> >
> > http://gallery.me.com/wbortz/100131
> >
> > The location manager want's to know asap if we want it repainted, as
> > they have to plan their stuff. ?Personally, I think the new paint job
> > is great - fits right in with the feel of the place. ?It's not too
> > dark, but it does look pretty dingy; fake rust drips and all. ?I
> > figure it'll be great for parties, and just general coolness, as we
> > can tell folks about the tv shoot and the battle tank. ?I'll be
> > sending the link on to the landlord as well.
> >
> > Either way, let me know what you think in the next few hours so I can
> > get the word back to the location manager. ?He just offered us an
> > extra $1000 for an extra day in the space too; I went for it. ?:)
> >
> > Wade
> >
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:25:07 -0800
> From: Ninety Nein <ninetynein at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [vcl_admin] New paintjob feedback needed asap!
> To: "VCL Discussion List." <vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTinEuh8i1BA9+y7izK6TWhV3PmnA2tF8Jq=XWfA- at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> I like it too Wade.  My vote is yes, we keep it.
> 
> Thanks,
> Tyson
> 
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Wade Bortz <wbortz at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> > Ack, bad link, sorry, correct link is:
> >
> > http://gallery.me.com/wbortz/100139
> >
> > Wade
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Wade Bortz <wbortz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hey guys, here's the photos of the new paintjob - uploading these via
> > > cellphone, so there aren't too many yet.
> > >
> > > http://gallery.me.com/wbortz/100131
> > >
> > > The location manager want's to know asap if we want it repainted, as
> > > they have to plan their stuff.  Personally, I think the new paint job
> > > is great - fits right in with the feel of the place.  It's not too
> > > dark, but it does look pretty dingy; fake rust drips and all.  I
> > > figure it'll be great for parties, and just general coolness, as we
> > > can tell folks about the tv shoot and the battle tank.  I'll be
> > > sending the link on to the landlord as well.
> > >
> > > Either way, let me know what you think in the next few hours so I can
> > > get the word back to the location manager.  He just offered us an
> > > extra $1000 for an extra day in the space too; I went for it.  :)
> > >
> > > Wade
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > vcl_admin mailing list
> > vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> > http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/pipermail/vcl_admin/attachments/20101206/480f4294/attachment-0001.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:42:52 -0800
> From: Jason Woodall <jason.woodall at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [vcl_admin] New paintjob feedback needed asap!
> To: "VCL Discussion List." <vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com>
> Message-ID: <4CFD4ACC.2050605 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> Although not a member yet (but will be in Jan), I LOVE IT!!
> 
> 
> 
> On 12/6/2010 12:25 PM, Ninety Nein wrote:
> > I like it too Wade.  My vote is yes, we keep it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tyson
> >
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 13:11:47 -0800
> From: Sam Alder <sam.make at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [vcl_admin] New paintjob feedback needed asap!
> To: "VCL Discussion List." <vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTikfVOaqk+PROF4zP3DH7OoqZJ--Hg2E5hN1O9XH at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> I'm on the fence. It's cool looking, but not sure if it will work in the
> long run (lighting- and general atmosphere-wise).
> 
> $1000 more is double plus plus good. Makes me think we need to hold out for
> more next time.
> 
> ~sam
> 
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Jason Woodall <jason.woodall at gmail.com>wrote:
> 
> > Although not a member yet (but will be in Jan), I LOVE IT!!
> >
> >
> >
> > On 12/6/2010 12:25 PM, Ninety Nein wrote:
> > > I like it too Wade.  My vote is yes, we keep it.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Tyson
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > vcl_admin mailing list
> > vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> > http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/pipermail/vcl_admin/attachments/20101206/db460690/attachment-0001.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:35:05 -0800
> From: Wade Bortz <wbortz at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [vcl_admin] New paintjob feedback needed asap!
> To: "VCL Discussion List." <vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTimUsLM6X9J+qyyp4uR94w0WyaCdqy6i_g+uEAS=@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> I got a "Paint it back" vote from Kim; her point is that it does look
> pretty grimy, and I can't argue with that - I think that was what the
> artists were shooting for, the grimy interior of an old cargo ship.
> :)
> 
> Any other thoughts?
> 
> Wade
> 
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Sam Alder <sam.make at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm on the fence. It's cool looking, but not sure if it will work in the
> > long run (lighting- and general atmosphere-wise).
> >
> > $1000 more is double plus plus good. Makes me think we need to hold out for
> > more next time.
> >
> > ~sam
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Jason Woodall <jason.woodall at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Although not a member yet (but will be in Jan), I LOVE IT!!
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On 12/6/2010 12:25 PM, Ninety Nein wrote:
> >> > I like it too Wade. ?My vote is yes, we keep it.
> >> >
> >> > Thanks,
> >> > Tyson
> >> >
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> vcl_admin mailing list
> >> vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> >> http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > vcl_admin mailing list
> > vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> > http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> >
> >
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 15:10:34 -0800
> From: Adrian Mandy <adrian at weelife.com>
> Subject: Re: [vcl_admin] New paintjob feedback needed asap!
> To: "VCL Discussion List." <vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTinkKG8JmMDb4QX9UkH5LULRLMqjEfobRxt9AvQV at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> I like it, but I would go along with "paint it back" if people think it's
> too dark.
> 
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Wade Bortz <wbortz at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> > I got a "Paint it back" vote from Kim; her point is that it does look
> > pretty grimy, and I can't argue with that - I think that was what the
> > artists were shooting for, the grimy interior of an old cargo ship.
> > :)
> >
> > Any other thoughts?
> >
> > Wade
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Sam Alder <sam.make at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm on the fence. It's cool looking, but not sure if it will work in the
> > > long run (lighting- and general atmosphere-wise).
> > >
> > > $1000 more is double plus plus good. Makes me think we need to hold out
> > for
> > > more next time.
> > >
> > > ~sam
> > >
> > > On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Jason Woodall <jason.woodall at gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >>
> > >> Although not a member yet (but will be in Jan), I LOVE IT!!
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On 12/6/2010 12:25 PM, Ninety Nein wrote:
> > >> > I like it too Wade.  My vote is yes, we keep it.
> > >> >
> > >> > Thanks,
> > >> > Tyson
> > >> >
> > >> _______________________________________________
> > >> vcl_admin mailing list
> > >> vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> > >> http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > vcl_admin mailing list
> > > vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> > > http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> > >
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > vcl_admin mailing list
> > vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> > http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> >
> 
> 
> 
> --
> Adrian
> http://living.weelife.com
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/pipermail/vcl_admin/attachments/20101206/8696b545/attachment.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> vcl_admin mailing list
> vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin
> 
> 
> End of vcl_admin Digest, Vol 8, Issue 6
> ***************************************
> 
> _______________________________________________
> vcl_admin mailing list
> vcl_admin at vancommunitylab.com
> http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/vcl_admin

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/pipermail/vcl_admin/attachments/20101206/a54623e0/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the vcl_admin mailing list