[WMHFA-news] Fall Campout

WMHFA wmhfa at charter.net
Wed Oct 7 16:04:03 CDT 2009

Attention All Campers!

We are planning a homeschool camping trip to Ludington State Park (LSP) over
the Halloween weekend.  There are walking and biking trails, Lake Hamlin,
salmon fishing in the channel, a lighthouse, lots of leaves and of course
refreshing dips in the Big Lake!  Depending on the number of families that
come, we could also plan some group activities or events.

The campsites are first come, first served, and cannot be reserved during
that time of year. Historically the campground is virtually empty that time
of year, though. Our tentative plans are to all camp together in the
Beechwood Middle area, which is close to the bathrooms, showers, playground,
walking trails, and Lake Hamlin.  Each site has electricity, but no water or
sewer hookups.

BE ADVISED!  It can get very cold at night (even freezing), and because of
the freezing potential, it may be possible that the bathrooms will already
be winterized.  The LSP website states that the water and bathrooms will be
open until November 2, but a staff member told me that if there is freezing
weather, it may be sooner.  In that case, there will be no running water or
plumbed restrooms, only the dreaded outhouse (how's that for a scary
weekend?)  As time draws closer, we will call and get the latest scoop and
let you know.

For more information, or if you know you will be coming, please drop us an
email or give us a call.  We'd love to see you there!

Colin and Kathy Mennega

mennegas at att.net

(616) 245-4359