[WMHFA-news] News & Notes 4-14-10

WMHFA wmhfa at charter.net
Mon Apr 12 23:16:13 CDT 2010

West Michigan Homeschool Fine Arts

7921 Whites Bridge Rd * Belding, MI 48809

Phone (616) 794-2332

E-mail:  wmhfa at charter.net

WMHFA Calendar - Click HERE
<http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=wmhfa%40charter.net&ctz=America/Ne
w_York>  to access the WMHFA Calendar

Marching Band Uniform Fitting in the Gym (10:00 AM - 11:45 AM) -   All
students enrolling in the Marching Band will need a uniform.  This is the
LAST WEEK to get a Marching Band uniform.  This week the fitting is in the
Gym.  Parents must accompany students to the fitting to ensure that each
student gets the correct size for comfort and appearance.

HELP!  - We need experienced parents to help with the uniform fitting.
Please come to the Gym and see Shantell Ford

Marching Band Volunteer Schedule - Please take the time and sign up for a
volunteer spot on the sign up sheets when you pick up your uniform.  We ask
each family to take one time slot.  Job assignments will be listed.  We do
need one mom who can be there every day from about 11:30-12:30, and another
mom who can be there from 9-10 every day.  For questions, contact Kathy
Carabellese 531-1977.

NEW! State Band & Orchestra Festival Schedule - The Symphony Orchestra will
be performing at Reeths Puffer High School in Muskegon on Thursday, April
29th.  Warm-up is at 10:30 AM, students need to arrive by 10:00 AM.  The
Concert Band will be performing at Reeths Puffer High School in Muskegon on
Friday, April 30th.  Warm-up is at 2:45 PM, students need to arrive by 2:15.
Maps will be passed out at the rehearsal before the festival.

Spring Concert Dates - The Choir/Colorguard Concert is April 15, the Band
Concert is April 19 and the Orchestra Concert is April 20.  The concerts
will all be held at East Kentwood High School.  Concerts begin at 7:00 PM.
Detailed concert information will be sent out by separate email.

Pick Up Your Concert Tickets - The cost is $2/person to defray the cost of
facility rental.  Tickets will be available at the Information Table or at
the door on the night of the concert.

Attention Drumline - You will need to bring your drum home with you on
Wednesday and bring it to the concert.

2010 Marching Band Trip - The Marching Band trip to King's Island and the
Creation Museum is on July 15-16.  The cost will be $150/person for those
traveling on the bus.  This cost will include transportation, hotel, 1
breakfast, admission fees and tips.  Watch for more details coming soon!

Marching Band Enrollment Information Now Available! - Stop by the
Information Table to pick up a copy of the 2010 Marching Band information.
Please turn in your enrollment information by April 14.  Uniform fittings
are taking place on April 7 & 14.  Check out all the details in the packet.
The 2010 Northern Lights Marching Band is open to ALL Band Students (even
Beginning Band students).  A few openings are available for Orchestra
students (see Mrs. March).

Marching Band music must be memorized! - Pick up your Marching Band Music at
the Information Table.  All Marching Band students are required to have
"America on Parade" and "The Ultimate Warm-up" memorized by April 28 .
Testing of memorization will be on April 21 & 28 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Sign up for a time at the Information Table.

Need Help Memorizing your Marching Band Music? - Marching Band music CDs are
available at the Information Table for $1.  These CDs have individual parts
recorded on them and are especially beneficial for Beginning and
Intermediate Band students.  Pick up your CD on Wednesday.  Be sure to let
us know what instrument you need.

Do you live a long way from the HSB? - Woodchip Campground is only 5 minutes
away from the HSB (2 miles south on Burlingame) and they are offering a
great deal on campsites the week of Band Camp (June 7-12).  The cost for the
week of Band Camp is $100 ($20/night) for a standard site.  Full hookup is
extra.  We have included Friday night due to the Cutlerville parade on
Saturday morning (only 3 miles from campground).  Call the campground at
(616) 878-9050 to reserve your space.  Tell them you are with the Homeschool
Marching Band.

Middle School Solo & Ensemble Schedule is available at the Information Table

2010 WMHFA CD Orders - A few weeks ago we took a survey to see if there was
interest in a professional recording of our groups.  The response was good
and we are now taking orders for the soon to be released CD collection.
There will be 3 different CDs available: one for bands, one for orchestras
and one for choirs.  The cost for the 3 CD set is $25.  To purchase an
individual CD the cost is 1 for $12, 2 for $22 and 3 for $30.  You may order
and pay at the Information Table.

WMHFA Lunch - Lunches are $3.25 (includes 2 sides and a drink).  This week:
Nachos

Class Schedule Changes in April - Due to variations in the schedule for the
month of April, we have listed the schedule below.  Please note that the
Chorale, Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra will continue meeting through
the end of the month to prepare for State Festivals.

April 14 - Last day of regular class schedule

April 21 - 9:00-10:00 AM Chorale; 10:00-12:00 Concert Band; 12:00-2:00
Symphony Orchestra

April 28 - 9:00-10:00 AM Chorale; 10:00-12:00 Concert Band; 12:00-2:00
Symphony Orchestra

District Festival CD - District Festival CDs may be ordered at the
Information Table.  The cost for each CD is $6.  Each group is on a separate
CD.  You may also order by email at wmhfa at charter.net (be sure to tell us
what group you want).

Concert Uniforms - The following attire is to be worn for the concerts:

*      Beginning Band/Orchestra & Elementary Choir: Black or navy pants*
(boys); mid-calf skirt (girls); royal blue WMHFA polo shirt, dark shoes (no
athletic shoes please!)

*      Intermediate Band/Orchestra: Black/navy pants* (boys); mid-calf skirt
(girls); maroon WMHFA polo shirt, dark shoes

*      Choirs: Boys-black or navy pants*, Girls-mid-calf skirt, white shirt,
dark shoes

*      Advanced Orchestra: Boys-black or navy pants*, white shirt, dark
shoes; Girls-all black, dark shoes

*      Symphony Orchestra Boys: Black pants*, white tuxedo shirt, black bow
tie**, & cummerbund (provided by WMHFA)

*      Symphony Orchestra Girls: All black skirt or dress, dark shoes

*      Chorale, Advanced*** & Concert Bands:  black pants*/uniform skirt
(provided by WMHFA), white tuxedo shirt**, dark shoes (no athletic shoes
please!), black bow tie** for boys and cummerbund (provided by WMHFA)

* Dress or casual pants only.  Marching Band uniform pants are preferred.
Please do not wear cargo or "jean" style pants.

**Bow Ties and White tuxedo shirts with stand-up collar or wing collar are
available at Dunhill Tuxedo.  Girls in Advanced & Symphony Orchestra do not
need the tuxedo shirt.  They are to wear all black.  Skirts must be mid-calf
or longer.

***Advanced Band will wear blue bow ties and cummerbunds provided by WMHFA.

Do you have Tuxedo Shirts or Bow Ties that are no longer needed? - We have
students who could make good use of them.  Please contact our uniform
coordinator, Shantell Ford, at shantellford at yahoo.com or (616)745-0976.