[WMHFA-news] News & Notes

WMHFA wmhfa at charter.net
Mon Oct 25 19:46:36 CDT 2010

West Michigan Homeschool Fine Arts

7921 Whites Bridge Rd * Belding, MI 48809

Phone (616) 794-2332

E-mail:  wmhfa at charter.net

Practice Card Reminder - All students are required to practice a minimum of
30 minutes a day 5 days a week.  Please make sure your child is keeping up
with the required practice and turning in a signed practice card each week.

Please Be On Time! - There is an old saying that goes something like this,
"To be early is to be on time.  To be on time is to be late.  To be late is
unacceptable."  We need students to be early to class so they have time to
set up their music stand, assemble/warm-up their instrument and be ready for
class to begin at the announced time.  Parents, please help us in the
following ways: 1) have your child to class at least 5 minutes before the
class begins; 2) have a talk with your children reminding them to be prompt.
Thank you!

Attention Seniors - If you will be graduating this year and would like to be
featured in the front of the yearbook with a bigger picture and bio
information, then we need to know. :-)

The deadline for submitting your information and picture is January 19,
2011.  [FYI- this date is really the very last week to turn in the
information- no dragging it out- and it comes very quickly once we're back
in January.  Last year, there was a senior who didn't get in the yearbook
b/c of not turning in the info.  We are working on pretty strict deadlines
from the publisher.  This gives you 3 months' notice to do this, which is
plenty of time.]

All that being said, if you have your picture ready and can fill out the
info soon, then do it- get it done.  If you want/need to have a picture
taken, please contact Mrs Haverdink for pricing on a mini session or full
session.  This must be done by mid-December because of the holidays.

Please call or email Mrs. Haverdink to get the biographical questions
emailed to you.  We would prefer the answers in an email or document so that
we can copy and paste the info into the yearbook- saves lots of typing time!
:-)  imagesbyjh at yahoo.com  616.530.6007

Thank you and please let us know if you have any questions!

Will you be missing a class? - If you know you will be missing a class
please send an email to the instructor or to wmhfa at charter.net.  If you miss
a class due to sickness or other unforeseen events, make a note on your
practice card.

The WMHFA Calendar is online with Google Calendar - Use the following
address to access our calendar in any web browser.
<http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=wmhfa%40charter.net&ctz=America/Ne
w_York>
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=wmhfa%40charter.net&ctz=America/New
_York

Tip:  If you are a subscriber to Google Calendar you can import WMHFA dates
to your calendar.

Kalamazoo News

Concert Dates - Mark your calendars!  Concerts are scheduled for the
following dates:

            December 14 - All Kalamazoo classes performing

            April 19 - All Kalamazoo classes performing

Grand Rapids News

Special Concert This Week! - Encounter Revival Ministries - The concert will
be in the Gym at 10:25 (during choir).  Everyone is invited.  Two members of
his choral group are former WMHFA students, Sarah Rieger & Allyson Zuidema.

Attention Brass Players! - If you are interested in playing in a brass group
after band meet in Room 9 from 1:25-1:55.

All Percussionists- you need to have a 3 ring binder with clear sheets to
hold your music.  Too often music is left around and misplaced.  This will
help keep all your music sheets organized for band and for drumline.

Attention All Volunteer Workers! - In order to keep our volunteer program
organized and effective we are asking each one of you to check in at the
Information Table when you arrive plus wear a name tag so that you will be
recognized as a volunteer.  Thank you for your cooperation - Kathy
Carabellese, carabellesequiver at juno.com, (616)531-1977

2010 Marching Band participants- the group picture taken in Grand Haven is
now available for purchase.  There will be samples at a table on Wednesday.

10x20, mounted on styrene board (keeps it safe, free from wrinkling, able to
put on an easel, etc)  $25.00

10x20, unmounted       $15.00

  5x10, unmounted        $ 8.00

Cash or checks made payable to Jackie Haverdink.

WMHFA  apparel for sale!   Come by the fundraiser table to see the new
selection of quality clothing items for sale.  Sweatshirts, T-shirts, Fleece
jackets, Knit caps and more will be displayed for viewing.  Order forms will
be available at the table.   Some items can be personalized with group name
(symphony), instrument or personal name.   There are two choices for logos -
embroidered or silk screened. This sale will run the months of October and
November.  Orders will be sent in every couple of weeks.  Parents and
Grandparents, this might be a great idea for Christmas gifts for your young
musicians!

Concert Dates - Mark your calendars!  Concerts are scheduled for the
following dates:

December 13 - All Grand Rapids classes will perform at this concert

April 21 - Choir Concert (all vocal classes, Handbell Choir, Colorguard)

April 25 - Band Concert (all bands, wind & percussion ensembles, Big Band)

April 26 - Orchestra Concert (all orchestras, string ensembles)

Lunch - For your convenience WMHFA offers lunch from 11:00pm-1:30pm every
Wednesday in Grand Rapids.   Save Money! - Buy a meal card for $30.00 for 10
lunches and save $2.50.  Otherwise lunches are $3.25 which includes 2 sides
and a drink.  This Week: Chicken Nuggets

Keycards are back! - Check out the new design for keycards.  Each "foldout"
card has over 400 merchants listed.  These discounts have NO limit.  Also
included with each card is a coupon booklet which has numerous coupons for
various locations (many of the coupons are for "Buy one, Get one Free).
Each keycard you sell puts money into your tuition account!  Along with
paying for your tuition, you will qualify for some great prizes!

WMHFA Christmas Giving Opportunities

Operation Christmas Child - Pack a shoe box full of gifts for a needy child.
Samaritan's Purse will deliver it for you.  8 MILLION CHILDREN received shoe
boxes last year!  OVER 95 COUNTRIES have received shoe boxes since 1993 WHY?
To demonstrate God's love in a tangible way to needy children around the
world and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News
of Jesus Christ.  How to get involved: Download a label, Pack a shoe box,
Drop it off at WMHFA on November 9 or 10, and Follow your box.  To download
a label and for detailed information on what to pack in the shoe box go to
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/

The Caribbean Christian Centre for the Deaf (CCCD) operates three schools on
the island of Jamaica. They are residential facilities that bring in the
rural deaf that would otherwise not have access to the gospel of Jesus
Christ or to a language, basic education or vocational training.  To learn
more visit the website http://www.cccdjamaica.com/.  As you plan your giving
this Christmas how about giving back a little of what we have and praise God
for our ability to hear and enjoy music by making a donation.  We will
provide an opportunity for you to give in December at the concerts.

Bulletin Board

Homeschool Camping Trip! - Attention all campers!  We are planning a
homeschool camping trip to Ludington State Park (LSP) over the Halloween
weekend.  There are walking and biking trails, Lake Hamlin, salmon fishing
in the channel, a lighthouse, lots of leaves and of course refreshing dips
in the Big Lake!  Depending on the number of families that come, we could
also plan some group activities or events.

The campsites are first come, first served, and cannot be reserved during
that time of year. Historically the campground is virtually empty that time
of year, though. Our plans are to all camp together in the Cedars Campground
area.  Each site has electricity, but no water or sewer hookups.  For more
information, or if you know you will be coming, please drop us an email or
give us a call.  We'd love to see you there!  Colin and Kathy Mennega,
mennegas at att.net, (616) 682-2839.